Olympus E-P1 review @ Mac-Forums blog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Howdy everyone!

I've just posted a review of the Olympus E-P1 over at the Mac-Forums.com blog.

I've sent it back after a one week review period, but if you have any followup questions, be sure to let me know and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Mac-Forums Blog » ObjectAccessories » Review: Olympus E-P1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
How do you think it stacks up against something like say a G10?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Really nice overall review.

Reaction score
very well done review. i love that camera to death. the look is sssssssoooooo sick. Past with a touch of the present.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How do you think it stacks up against something like say a G10?
I'd say the level of control you get is similar, but the quality of images is better. The sensor is quite a bit larger (1/1.7" vs. four-thirds) and I think that combined with the interchangable lenses gives the E-P1 a considerable edge. But price-wise it's also in a different category at the moment.

300px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Plus, from everything I've seen, you take the G10 much above its base iso, noise starts to creep in at iso 200, and you get smearing of fine detail at iso 400.

Aptmunich does have a point on the price, it is much more expensive then a G10 - but the camera is more aimed at the dSLR market for people who want more then a plain old P&S, but don't want the bulk, feel, etc. of a true dSLR.

I think Oly has a wonderful little camera here, although I think they'll find a bit of a challenge due to price w/ lack of certain features (like what Apt had pointed out in the review - lack of onboard flash, lack of low light focus assist lamp, etc.).

Thanks for your review Apt, always interesting to read more about new cameras - most that I have read have felt pretty similar about the camera - and interesting consensus so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.