defragmentation

Reaction score
hello,
i am developing an application which can provide the deframentation of harddrive in mac os x. then tell me is there any terminal command to do the same.

plz help me out

regards
abhinay chauhan
s/w engg

OP
A
Reaction score
hello,
i am developing an application which can provide the defragmentation feature for mac os x (just like window ) to speed up our system. which can defrag our fragmented files and arrange all the free space at the end of the partition.
tell me how can i do so?
tell me is there any terminal command to do the same?

please help me out .............

regards
Abhinay chauhan
s/w engg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads. Please do not cross-post.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
hello,
i am developing an application which can provide the defragmentation feature for mac os x (just like window ) to speed up our system. which can defrag our fragmented files and arrange all the free space at the end of the partition.
tell me how can i do so?

regards
Abhinay chauhan
s/w engg
Read up on journal file systems

OP
A
Reaction score
hello,
sory, i didn't get ur ans . tell me how can i defragment our hard disk partion and my query is----

tell me how can i do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
You don't need to defragment your hard disk with Mac OS X. The file system handles this automatically.

OP
A
Reaction score
file system only defrag the file which is under 20 MB size.
but i want to defrag the files above then this size.
if file system hands it then tell me which exec the file system run to do the same .

and tell me the path , how can i defrag our hard disk in mac os x?????????

thanks
abhinay chauhan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One more time - you don't need to - OS X handles this quite well on it's own.

Just checked my system last night, been running it for almost 2 years now without defragging or a fresh install. It was 0.6% fragmented. And I install, remove and modify tons of files on an ongoing basis.

Unless you're hitting the point of less than 25% free space, a defrag is typically not going to help with OS X. If you are hitting that percentage, I suggest freeing up some space. If you're insistent that you want to defrag, you can grab the app iDefrag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
One more time - you don't need to - OS X handles this quite well on it's own.

Just checked my system last night, been running it for almost 2 years now without defragging or a fresh install. It was 0.6% fragmented. And I install, remove and modify tons of files on an ongoing basis.

Unless you're hitting the point of less than 25% free space, a defrag is typically not going to help with OS X. If you are hitting that percentage, I suggest freeing up some space. If you're insistent that you want to defrag, you can grab the app iDefrag.

Where are you finding the information on fragmentation?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Assume you're referring to my current fragmented percentage. I downloaded the iDefrag demo.

With the amount of data in and out on my personal machines, Windows was always hitting 20% fragmented in about a month of regular use although I had it set up to auto defrag once a week when it was already hitting 10% or better. After 2 1/2 yrs with OS X, I still have this habit of checking to see if I need to defrag or not once every 3-4 months, and so far the percentages have been so insignificant as to not make the purchase of iDefrag even remotely advantageous to me. If you're running a nearly full drive it could be different for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.