Can I install DVD burner - Pioneer DVR-117F/BK - in my Mac G4?

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me if this is easy to do and either explain or send me a link on how to do this? I've got a silver front G4 tower. I'm not sure whether it is SATA or ATA. There is room to put a drive in there.

I think my formac enclosure has had it, but I need to backup all my photos asap and I'm at my wits end with trying to sort this out! :Grimmace:

Many thanks.
JL

OP
E
Reaction score
This might seem a silly question....

...but will my Pioneers DVR-117F work as a CD Rom drive as well as a DVD burner?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I searched and found the Pioneer DVR-117F and the specs I saw said EIDE which is IDE (ATA) and will work in your G4 Tower. It should work fine as a CDROM drive also. Pioneer CD/DVD drives work well with OSX in every case I have ran into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In brief DVD burners will also work with the CD format, both reading and burning. For what it is worth IMHO Pioneer are the only was to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.