thinking of switching....

M

m-memphis

I'm a big PC user but I'm thinking of giving mac a try. I've also wanted to get a laptop to be more mobile. A good buddy of mine is getting a ti powerbook and is willing to sell me his iBook. It's a iBook G3 600 (OS X.3.8), 256 ram, 20GB HD, combo drive (CD-RW/DVD), airport, 14.1" screen. He's asking $550.
Is this a good price?? and would this be a good 'starter' mac?? I'm just looking to do internet, IM, photoshop, watch movies, etc. on it....it would be a 'secondary' computer.

Thanks,
Mike

FYI, currently running a home build desktop (Athlon 1.33, 1GB ram, 90GB HD, 128MB Nvidia)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thats an ok price, Id get it as low as you can though. the specs are good for a starter mac, though I'd recommend adding more ram if possible, but that should be enough, also an external hd, 20gb isn't a lot of space.

Reaction score
I think that iBook would be sluggish for photoshop. And might have some minor slowdowns when running multiple apps. It is a good starter machine, but i high recommend you upgrade to 512 MB of ram. It will probably feel about the same speed as your PC right now.

edit: aww beat me to it macman

JRV

Reaction score
recenlty bought an iBook and it wasn't long before it became my primary computer. i would say never buy second hand computers, especially ones that are so out dated. just save up some more cash and buy a new one. you will regret buying that ibook for $550.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
shaun89 said:
I think that iBook would be sluggish for photoshop. And might have some minor slowdowns when running multiple apps. It is a good starter machine, but i high recommend you upgrade to 512 MB of ram. It will probably feel about the same speed as your PC right now.

edit: aww beat me to it macman

I still use Photoshop on my PowerBook G3 333Mhz and it runs fine with 384MB of RAM. Sure Photoshop is faster on my 1Ghz G4s, but as long as you max the RAM, Photoshop should run just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JRV said:
recenlty bought an iBook and it wasn't long before it became my primary computer. i would say never buy second hand computers, especially ones that are so out dated. just save up some more cash and buy a new one. you will regret buying that ibook for $550.

This is true. If you are willing to spend over $500 on a Mac, you could just get a Mini. Then you would have a new and current machine. Plus, if you already have a spare monitor, USB keyboard and USB mouse it would not make sense to pay $500 for a used Mac that is a couple years old. Yet if you are in the market for a laptop, I would think $550 is a good deal for the iBook with all the specs you listed.

JRV

Reaction score
i still say avoid that ibook. if you buy it for $550 you'll still need to upgrade the ram and compared to your current machine it will seem incredibly slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.