Mac Mini Advice

Reaction score
Hi All.

New here and wanted to ask a few questions about the new Mac Mini.

Are they very quiet? When sat next to them?

Easy to upgrade ram?

Do they work better with an SSD hard drive.

I am thinking of buying one soon so need to get some questions answered!!

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. They are quiet

2. You can upgrade the RAM, but post again here for a link on how to do this easily

3. They work fine with the supplied SATA drive, an SSD will not be any better - just more expensive

The mini is a great choice if you want to experience the Mac without spending lots of money

OP
koolpc
Reaction score
Yea, thanks. Want a good desktop PC that is efficient, powerful enough for most PC work and is very quiet indeed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I can confirm, I just purchased a Mac Mini a few months ago and they are almost spooky quiet. In fact, my external hard drives are louder than the Mini.

OP
koolpc
Reaction score
What memory would i need to buy to get 4 gig in the new Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Are you really good working with computers? Putting ram in the Mini isn't for everyone. The case is hard to open and you have to remove antennas and the hard drive. Many people have pulled stuff loose and then it wouldn't work. If you don't feel comfortable with doing the upgrade you are better buying it already done or sending it to someone to do it for you.

OP
koolpc
Reaction score
I have built many many PC's. Too many to count!! lol

I am thinking of buying one 2nd hand and then doing an upgrade on the ram and putting an SSD in too!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a Mini as a media center, and even when playing HD content, it is dead quiet. I still have the stock 1GB RAM, but upgraded the hard drive to a 500GB model.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Upgrading the Mini is a breeze once you get the case off. That's the largest PITA. You've gotta be very careful to ensure that you don't completely scratch the shell. There are numerous videos about doing this. Once you've gotten the case off, it's just a matter of removing a single wire before you have access to the memory and HDD.

I found the stock 1.83Ghz with 1GB to be a slouch. By just upgrading the memory to 3GB, I've seen a significant increase in response and usability of the Mini..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Upgrading the Mini is a breeze once you get the case off. That's the largest PITA. You've gotta be very careful to ensure that you don't completely scratch the shell. There are numerous videos about doing this. Once you've gotten the case off, it's just a matter of removing a single wire before you have access to the memory and HDD.

I found the stock 1.83Ghz with 1GB to be a slouch. By just upgrading the memory to 3GB, I've seen a significant increase in response and usability of the Mini..

The latest versions of the Mini have a little more than just removing a wire to upgrade the HD and RAM. You have to pull off 3 antenna wires, and then remove the HD/Optical drive tray to get to the RAM. If you want to swap the harddrive, then you also have to take the optical drive off the tray that you just pulled out, and swap then you can get access to the hard drive.

OP
koolpc
Reaction score
I don't mind fiddling with a Mac. Just want to make sure that a Mac Mini with 2Ghz and 4gig ram with a possible SSD swap will be a good unit to work with?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.