thinking of getting a macbook pro

Reaction score
hi everyone i just joined to share my dilema.

I need to get a laptop.
after extensive research on the internet i have concluded the following
I'm split between the Lenovo thinkpad t400s and the macbook pro 15

both are good machines, both have advantages and disadvatages other the other.
but i can't decide...

now straight out i will say this: I really like the macbook pro but i HATE the keyboard. I have typed in many keyboards in my life even the old IBM keyboard that made that distinctive sound. however the macbook keyboard is the worst of all. i can't understand how people type on it. how people on youtube and reviews actually believe is "good". the keys are SO spaced out that you make more mistakes and your fingers have to travel further... right now i'm typing on my cousin's dell xps m1530 and the keyboard is really comfortable and no flex.

anyway
let me know what you think about the keyboard and please be honest.
also i heard that the macbooks break easy on the hinges? is that true?
any other suggestion on my decision?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
I've just bought my first MBP 2 weeks ago. I've used al***ware, ac**, & H* before. I have no problem at all switching between non-mac keyboard and key on MBP.

The hinges is the best i've seen so far between those 3 laptops I mentioned above. The screen doesnt wobble when I move the laptop around.

Go for macbook pro, u won't regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I think keyboard preference is a personal choice. Like the others I have no problem with the MBP keyboard and no problem switching between the keyboards of any brand of computers. I have medium sized hands and do not feel the keys are spaced too wide apart. At the end of the day if you hate the MBP keyboard you probably should look elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I agree about the keyboard. It's less than optimal for me. Luckily I have the model previous to the unibody ones, which has a much better keyboard. I'm so glad I got this previous model when I did because I was really disappointed in the new aluminum MBP's chiclet keyboard and annoyingly glossy screen. I also find the buttonless trackpad a bit awkward to use.

However, I think Leopard is a WAY better operating system. You can probably find an early 2008 MBP for cheap online. The specs come close enough to the current models, plus you can get a matte screen and better keyboard. But you'll get slightly fewer trackpad gestures, a shorter battery life and it won't be the "latest thing". Depends on what you find more important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
Are the keys on the new MBP actually spaced farther apart? I figured it was just because of the design of it (most keyboards have a bit of a slant going down from the top surface, which makes it seem to take up more space). Upon comparing it with my 2004 model iBook G4, this still seems like the case. I have never had any problem with typing on mine. I actually have pretty small hands (for a male, anyway) and did not notice a difference. I do, however, like the feel of the keyboard -- both the smooth texture of the keys themselves and the relative ease with which they depress. Kind of a soft feeling. I actually went into it thinking I would not like the keyboard as much, but I like it at least as much if not more than my old one.

If you actually do hate the keyboard, I see two lines of logic:
1) Buy the Mac and figure you'll get used to it and not notice it after a while and you'll then have a machine you really like.
2) Don't buy the Mac because the keyboard is a pretty important part that you will obviously interact with a lot. If it drives you nuts, using your own computer will become an annoying task each time.

Deciding which of these two you will follow is up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.