macbook issues

Reaction score
so i just bought a macbook from one of of my friends and its a white macbook from 2007 with these specs

2.16ghz intel core 2 duo
120 gb HD
1 gig of ram
and running os x tiger 10.4.11 because she never bothered to update the os to leopard

i appear to be having issues with the wifi, ever 30 mins or so it stops working yet my signal strength is telling me it perfect?
i was reading some people were having issues because of the latest verison of tiger and something with it is messing with the wifi card, but even when i have my macbook plugged in with the power cord it still disconnects

what im wondering is what could it be done and if anybody could give me any ideas of what to do

i do plan to upgrading the os to leopard tho, that would probably fix my issues if it was a os issue correct?

also the macbook has a small plastic piece on the right bottom side that is missing and i was reading it was a manufacturing issue on apples end, i was wondering if i brought the macbook to the apple store in ottawa would they fix it for free due to it being a issue on there end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
As far as the Wifi issue goes, are you running the latest firmware for your router? This would be the first place to look. It sounds like the hardware is fine, but for some reason the connectivity between the macbook and the router cannot be maintained over long periods of time.

Doesn't hurt to go to the Apple Store and ask what your options are as far as the plastic piece you mentioned. They should be able to tell you what sort of warranty/Apple Care the machine has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
With used computers it is always worthwhile doing a fresh instal of the OS. All sorts of data can remain in caches etc and confuse the new set up you are using.
If you don't want to do that then make a New User - Sys Prefs/Accounts and enable fast user switching then log out of current user - Apple Menu - then log into your new User and set that up. Try that and if all works better the trash the old User. Make sure the new one is an Admin user

OP
T
Reaction score
when i got the macbook i had asked my friend to do a complete fresh install of os x tiger, so that solves that issue you brought up collin

and to wmprice1240, i checked out my router company site and im not seeing any sort of drivers for my d-link ranger booster G WBR-2310, and would i have install that driver if there is one on the macbook or where exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going into Apple/Location/Preferences and set up a location with details of the ISP for where u are having problems and see if that helps. Include the DNS numbers for the ISP in the prefs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I don't know much about your wifi issue. But I do know that Applewill replace the cracks on your Macbook for free. I took my wife's Macbook to an Apple store back in May. At first they said I had to pay for at least the shipping of the part to the store or something I can't remember. I do know it was $30. But when I went to pick up the Macbook, it was free.

And just recently, actually last week I noticed very thin hairline cracks on my Macbook. So I called Apple support, they gave me a reference number and told me to take it an Apple Store or an Authorized Re-Seller to get it fixed. I took it to an authorized re-seller on a Monday and had it back Tuesday and I didn't have to pay a dime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.