Charger is not charging!

Reaction score
My charger is plugged in and it says (Not Charging) on the top of my screen. The light on my charger is glowing green, although it is NOT fully charged at all. Also, when I unplug my charger, my computer turns off (or goes to sleep). This is really frustrating since my computer is only about a year old. One thing that I think might have fried my battery is that I put a MacBook Pro charger into my computer and the charger had twice as many wattages as my charger. I have a 2008 MacBook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MacBook Pro charger unit is rated at 85W while the MacBook one is 60W. It's possible you may have damaged the charging circuit in your MacBook, however, it's more likely the battery itself is defective. Even if your MacBook is covered by Apple care, the battery is not. It's considered a consumable item. If you do have Apple care, you might give it a go and see if Apple will replace the battery for free. If not, you're probably going to need to purchase a new one.

Regards.

Reaction score
You can probably get it done for free from Geek Squad. They're pretty nice like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.