No wireless from Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to help a friend with a new problem with her airport extreme. She says she'd been able to access wireless internet fine before using her MacBook Pro (10.5.7), her last Airport Extreme base, and Westell DSL high speed internet. It seems it stopped working a month ago. She had someone come out to the house and after resetting the base and DSL three times, he told her that the Extreme might have a defect. She bought a new base and I tried to install it today, but no luck.

I installed the software that came with it, updating the Airport Utility. When I plugged the base's power supply in, the light flashed green then went to solid amber. About a minute later, the amber light flashed twice, then went back to solid, where it stayed. Thinking it was just taking a long time to start up, I left it for a few hours, but it remained at the solid amber.

I tried unplugging everything. I tried a hard reset. But the light never went to green and the Airport utility could never detect the wireless base. I decided to use an ethernet cable to hook the laptop directly to the Extreme base, and I could access the internet that way. So am I right to assume that there is some problem with the wireless component of either the computer or the Extreme? When airport is turned on on the laptop, it picks up other networks in the condo. I honestly don't know what kind of network or security she set up when her wireless WAS working (though I think it was set for DHCP configuration). I don't have much experience with Airport Extreme so any advice would be helpful (especially if it's relatively idiot-proof, since I'm worried said friend may have to deal with this herself).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
What is the AEBS telling you for an error? Have you tried using the AirPort Utility to get the specific error message?

To do this simply open the utility. If the utility can see the device (which it should), you can double click it. This will bring up a dialogue box. From here you can navigate a variety of ways to the reason for the warning/error message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.