Apple Mail Grouping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, G5
Is there any way to group messages similar to Gmail so that instead of viewing numerous emails from the same person, they will be organized into 1 with the ability to view all replies? Any scripts or plugins?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
You can setup a 'Smart Folder' in Mail to do this (I assume this is your email program).

In Mail, look at the menu for Mailbox->New Smart Mailbox. There you can give your criteria that will allow you to group these messages.

Alternatively, you can setup Mail rules to move the messages to a folder on your Mac. This essentially is the same as a Smart Mailbox but it also moves the messages to a different location on your machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, G5
Smart Mailboxes

Okay, I have set up a few smart mailboxes. Not exactly what I was looking for but helps to keep messages from 1 sender in a neat folder. I was looking for more what gmail will do such as when you have multiple emails or a "conversation" with one sender it will group them such as (4) ([email protected]) Guess there are no scripts for this though and smart mailboxes will have to suffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Have you tried the 'Organize by Thread' option?

Take a look. To enable this in Mail do:

View->Organize by Thread.

This should be close to what you are looking for.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, G5
Yes!

exactly what I was looking for! Wow that makes mail a lot more appealing and easier to look at. Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, G5
Thread options

Are there any more features to view organize by thread option? I notice that if you view organize by thread it organizes by user then by subject. but if there are many other subjects there are also many threads. any solution to this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always change how it's sorted in Mail by the columns in the right hand pane where it has 'From, Subject, Date Received etc'

Note, you can add more columns as well. If you look at the View-Columns menu item you can add different columns and sort on these as well.

Reaction score
If I am right, organize by thread doesn't work across different mail boxes?
I hope I am wrong, cos I think Outlook will do this.

What I would like to see, is the email conversation, whether it be in your inbox
or sent box or whatever.

N

Reaction score
Mail Grouping Challenge

I have numerous emails from multiple senders which have been collected from my website. I now want to send a group email to all of them. How do I get their email addresses into the address bar?....or is there no easy way? Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have numerous emails from multiple senders which have been collected from my website..

Hi, welcome to the forums.

You should have started a new thread to get more coverage for your problem. However, the easiest way to do this is set up a new Group in your Address Book.

1)Open Address Book
2) Select File->New Group
3) Create the group
3) Add the recipients to the New Group.

For this to work you need to have the recipients added to your AddressBook. Once you have everyone added to the new group you can send a mail to that group and the mail will go to each recipient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.