G5, Should I get G5 2.0 ghz, looking for desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Unibody
I recently got a MBP 2.4, a few weeks after that the price dropped ;(. Well that's ok, 'cause I love my Macbook Pro Unibody.

I want to go all the way with MAC now. My desktop has been running Linux PCLinux Os for about 3 years. I use FCE and Audacity. Does the Duo mean that the 2.0 is actually running at 4.0 ghz?

I can't afford the Macpro nor do I probably need it, but I do want to move from Linux to Mac. Any suggestions and which Power Mac G5 should I consider. Can the ram be upgraded to at least 4mb?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No it does not the speed shall always be 2GHz. The DP will handle some applications much better however, particularly the more comprehensive programs that require a lot of processing power,.

If it must be a G5 see if you can find a Dual Core 2.3/2.5GHz at a reasonable price and each will accommodate 16GB of DDR2 PC2-4200 memory. That is a Dual Core and not the Dual Processor models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I, and many others, would advise you to stay away from PowerPC at this point. Since Apple replaced the PowerPC processors with Intel, they have been slowly phased out. The next release of OS X, which is coming in September, and most new software, will not run on PowerPC processors.

Reaction score
I, and many others, would advise you to stay away from PowerPC at this point. Since Apple replaced the PowerPC processors with Intel, they have been slowly phased out. The next release of OS X, which is coming in September, and most new software, will not run on PowerPC processors.

Yes, I completely agree.
I almost bought this G5 from overstock because I thought it was a good deal but a buddy of mine told me to stay away from Power Pc... basically said the same thing you did!

If you really want a PPC, overstock has a Power Mac for $894.
Apple G5 2.3GHz 4GB 250GB PowerMac Tower (Refurbished) | Overstock.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP originally posted he has an Intel Macbook and seeks a G5. The one listed above will fill the bill very nicely even if it is overpriced somewhat. It will run leopard extremely well and that OS will be about for years to come.

Some folk very happily still use OS 8 on early G3's and iMacs!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.