Importing email messages from Windows Mail

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a totally newbie to Mac (Macbook Pro) after many years with Windows 98/xp/vista so you'll probably see me around for some time...

I haven't really had time to start enjoying my new purchase (2 days) as I'm busy trying to move all my stuff from my old pc laptop (teenager waiting to inherit).

I've sorted out all docs, photos, music and now I need to find a way to move messages and contacts. Windows Mail doesn't appear to know what "mbox" format is so I just exported messages to a folder and placed this on my Mac desktop. This now contains a folder with all messages in .eml format and a file called winmail.fol.

I can open each message by just clicking on the file, but is there any way I can import them all into the Mac's Mail?

Thanks,
mada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you could try installing thunderbird on the PC and importing the winmail messages in to that.

Thunderbird can then export the mail to mbox format that mail will import

Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

Reaction score
I've used this method in a pinch a few times with success. Have a GMail account setup for IMAP. Create a XFER folder in GMail. Add GMail as an IMAP account to the Windows mail client and copy (drag and drop) all the emails you want to the XFER folder. Add GMail as an IMAP account to Mac mail and copy the XFER emails to wherever you want them in the Mac Mail.app accounts structure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.