Macbook Ethernet Issue

Reaction score
Hi all

Running OS X (10.4.11) on my 2007 model 13" Macbook. Connected to a router.

Ethernet has worked without problems until now. It is no longer detected at all. Have checked it out physically and it appears fine - no pins bent etc. The cable is working (tested). I didn't drop/knock it recently, so am inclined to think it's a software problem. Airport is working fine.

Following other people's Ethernet adventures, I have tried some solutions:

I have reset the PRAM.

I have reset the SMC via:
*Turn off and remove all cables
*Remove battery
*Hold the power button for 5 seconds
*Replace battery and power cable
*Turn on

No change to the Ethernet not being detected.

Under "Network -> show: Network Status" only Airport is visible.
Under "Network -> show: Built-in Ethernet" I am using DHCP but no IP address is displayed.

Does anyone have advice, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try moving com.apple.internetconfig.plist from ~User/name/Library/Preferences to the desk top and restarting. A new file will be placed in Prefs and if that sorts the issue then the plist file on desktop has been corrupted. If u still have the problem then replace the file and look elsewhere.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I checked everything I could think of and did all that you've listed above. I even deleted and then reinstalled the operating system. The problem turned out the be a faulty ethernet port on the actual computer.

But, before deciding your computer is at fault, you need to exclude problems with the ethernet port on the router.

Have you tried using a different router ethernet port - mine has two? If the problem remains whichever router port you use, and if you're certain the cable is OK, then it does appear that the ethernet port on the computer needs attention.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

Collin Bl, I tried your suggestion without success. The file wasn't replaced upon restart, however. I tried using "assist me -> diagnostic" after restart, but the Ethernet connection still wasn't detected. And it still didn't replace the file, so I put the old one back into the folder.

palmeira, I feel your pain. I truly doubt that it's a hardware issue in my case however, as it was working and then (without any physical incident) suddenly it stopped. Anything's possible however. I have several ports on my switch, and my PC is successfully connected to one of the other ports. Have tested the switch ports and cable.

Still hoping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Apple units can be picky - try it without the switch to aid in trouble shooting

OP
F
Reaction score
Collin Bl:
What was the now - what changed at that point?

Nothing changed that I can recall. Something must have, though.

The only thing I can think of is that I bought an external HDD and attached it via usb to my laptop. The HDD came with a hidden folder on it - "system volume information" - the system restore folder for Windows. I guess that the HDD was tested before sale on a computer that automatically adds system restore information to all drives it comes into contact with. I didn't figure this out until I'd already scanned the folder for viruses and attempted to open the "MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase" file within the folder on my Mac (figuring the mac would be better defended against unfriendly files). I don't see how any of that could affect the Ethernet port/settings however, especially since my Airport is working fine.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have been searching online some more and my problem seems almost common. Apple sell an Ethernet/USB adapter dongle for AU$39, which would be great to try out, so I just bought a different brand's dongle for AU$20 with postage. That will probably arrive in four or five days. Will post the result, but hopefully I'll stumble across a better solution before then.

Still looking for an answer.

OP
F
Reaction score
Faulty Ethernet port. The usb-Ethernet adapter fixed the issue. Case closed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.