Hard Drive spins loud on Black MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HD, Superdrive
A while back I was running low on hard disk space so decided to upgrade my hard drive. Went ahead and upgraded to 320Gb. Then after some time, I noticed that the hard drive was making a large spinning noise so I thought it was a bad drive and RMA'd it. I just recently got the new drive and installed it and the drive was making that same loud spinning noise. Now I'm frustrated with this and want to get to the end of it. I'm thinking it might be the rubbers are out of place that holds the drive. Can anyone help me with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Large spinning noise? How about when you put the drive to sleep, can you hear any vibration or noises? Also, what make drive is it?

Your MacBook hard drive carrier bay does have two rubber strips\rails that are fastened within the bay. Those strips sometimes will come loose and fall out when you pull the drive. Try to see if everything is in place:

Release the battery compartment and remove the hard drive by pulling on the tab. Now tilt the machine vertically toward you (hard drive insertion end should be up) while at the same time shine a flashlight into the slot. If you can see the rubber rails in place then everything is OK. If the rails are out of place try pushing them gently back. It can be difficult to get them lined up correctly and the entire bottom case may have to removed in order to do so.

If the rails are OK, it's possible the entire assembly may be loose. If that's the case you will probably need to take it on in and have it repaired by an Apple tech or authorized Apple service center.

You might want to go to the iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories web site and read their step by step instructions for disassembly - assembly of your machine. That might also give you a better idea of what to look for.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.