1TB drive for Mac Pro (early 2006)

Reaction score
Hello all...

I'm running out of space and I was thinking about adding a western digital 1TB SATA hard drive to my Mac Pro, but before I do that i just want to confirm that a 1TB hard drive can actually be used in the Mac Pro? The reason I'm asking is that I know Apple have done things such as crippling Mac Book Pro/Mac Mini to limit their memory to 2GB max, I was wondering if they've done something similar to limit the early Mac Pro's hard drive storage space as well.

Thanks all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
No. Any external drive will be fine. The memory restrictions you reference are for RAM only, not permanent storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Sorry, that last post should also mention that an internal drive would be fine as well. I use a variety of SATA internal drives in my MacPro with no issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.