Macbook boot problem

Reaction score
I have a black macbook that wont start up.
It worked fine before and now when i start it up it goes to the gray screen the the gear just spins for a long time(i.e. a few minutes) sometimes it goes to the mac startup bar and it takes a long time too(i.e. 1-2 minutes) for it to go the the login screen. Then if i get to the login i login and it just freezes and it might go to a black screen where it looks like the command prompt screen from Windows.

P.S. i have resetting the PRAM and the PMU and tried to boot it without the battery.
Any other suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
by booting from disc like it said in the article, will i lose my data on the hdd?

No, not if you follow the directions. While your drive may be on it's last leg and you may have already lost data, any data loss would not be caused by any of the steps contained in that article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.