LaCie 2Big Quadra Not recognized

Reaction score
Yesterday LaCie 2Big Quadra Harddisk dissapeared suddenly from Mac OS. It is running in Mixed modus (Raid 0 & Raid 1 combined) and it is not recognized anymore. Tried on different Mac computers, with different cables (Firewire 400, 800 & USB and with a different power supply. Disk Utilitys is also not showing it. It is also not listed in the Device Manager
The Harddisks are not making strange noises and nothing points towards the HDD being physically broke.

I suggested to let the IT they hired to remove the harddisks and connect them to a Mac/PC (with MacDrive software) with a raid controller and then try to accses them or even use another casing. Unfortunately i have neither at my dispossal so i can not try this on my own.

On another note i heard and read that LaCie are not the most trustworthy solutions for data storage especially when used intensively. So if anyone has an idea of what else they should be using as storage/backup by all means let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yesterday LaCie 2Big Quadra Harddisk dissapeared suddenly from Mac OS. It is running in Mixed modus (Raid 0 & Raid 1 combined) and it is not recognized anymore. Tried on different Mac computers, with different cables (Firewire 400, 800 & USB and with a different power supply. Disk Utilitys is also not showing it. It is also not listed in the Device Manager
The Harddisks are not making strange noises and nothing points towards the HDD being physically broke.

I suggested to let the IT they hired to remove the harddisks and connect them to a Mac/PC (with MacDrive software) with a raid controller and then try to accses them or even use another casing. Unfortunately i have neither at my dispossal so i can not try this on my own.

On another note i heard and read that LaCie are not the most trustworthy solutions for data storage especially when used intensively. So if anyone has an idea of what else they should be using as storage/backup by all means let me know.

Any lights on the drive? Power connector?? My experience with Lacie drives is the power supply. I have replaced many in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I have one of these drives connected to my Mac Pro - also running in Mixed mode. Not had any problems other than the crazy fan noise - which I've since removed.

Does the drive show up in Disk Utility and are any of the lights at the back of the drive flashing blue/red?

I suggested to let the IT they hired to remove the harddisks and connect them to a Mac/PC (with MacDrive software) with a raid controller and then try to accses them or even use another casing.

I would strongly suggest you do not do the above. Another RAID card won't recognize the array the LaCie build and may end up corrupting it.

If I was you I'd speak to LaCie to see whether another casing would be compatibly before trying that too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.