• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Some problems exporting from FCP to youtube in HD

Reaction score
I use compressor to export video. It uses the h.26 codec and I am doing 30 keyframes, restricting my video to 3000kbps. I am trying to export as 720p.

I am trying to export a five minute video, and it is taking nearly an hour. I knew exporting HD took a while, but really? An hour for five minutes?

Am I doing something wrong? Another problem is a test export, a video that ran 55 seconds is about 600MB.

Anyone know how I can fix this?
I have seen all the guides to uploading to youtube, but my videos are always over the 2GB limit and it takes over an hour for anything 5 minutes plus when exporting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Compressor is a great program BUT it is slow as christmas. I've got a video now I'm compressing from AIC 720p60 to mp4 h264, 4500kbps it's a 45 min video and it's looking to take about 4 hours or so (possibly more - that was the estimate when I left for work this morning, I won't know if that time is extended until I get home for lunch). The more the video is changed, the longer it takes to do the work (in my case, the original video has a much higher kbps, and I'm doing a bit of a crop). Some converters I've used are faster then others. You can try to just export your video to quicktime mov, then use something like mpegstreamclip or even from the final cut pro - instead of using compressor, try quicktime conversion.

You've got some hinky settings I know that - I've exported a 13 minute video H.264, ~4000kbps, 720p30 and the file is about 270ish megs - it did take about 40 minutes to export (this one was done in FCE using quicktime conversion, master video was 1080i).

Just some thoughts.

Reaction score
It is most likely multi-pass. Create a new setting exactly the same but uncheck the multi pass option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.