Myst For Mac os x (Intel)

Reaction score
The new myst games don't support the Intel processor. When I was at a Mac store and was going to buy a copy of myst 5, the shop keeper said,

''It doesn't work on Intel macs, you can get patches but...''

I want to know if anyone has a port of the Original Myst (Myst I) the one where you fall into the book. Its like a click-escape game, you can't walk around. You just click to other locations to go there. I REALLY want a port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Just want to say that I am a HUGE Myst fan, and have been since the first game was released. I have read all the novels and played through all the games, and even played Uru online for a time before it was taken offline. It's such a wonderful and imaginative world with a richly detailed story. Just wanted to get that out there.. haha.

As for Myst V working on Intel Macs, it works great, you just need to download the patch from Ubisoft which allows the installer to run. Afterwards it will install and run with no problem. I played it on my Intel iMac a year or so ago without issues.

I don't know if realMyst will work well or not, since I have not played it on an Intel Mac, or even a Mac for that matter. However, according to this list at MacRumours, it runs very well under Rosetta. It might be hard to find though. I actually never played through the whole thing, since I prefer the original pre-rendered version far more. In my opinion, the entire atmosphere and feel of the original is lost in the newer version.

You might want to try the 10th Anniversary Edition which includes the original Myst, Riven and Exile. These are all fantastic games.

OP
Mercedes1787
Reaction score
Just want to say that I am a HUGE Myst fan, and have been since the first game was released. I have read all the novels and played through all the games, and even played Uru online for a time before it was taken offline. It's such a wonderful and imaginative world with a richly detailed story. Just wanted to get that out there.. haha.

As for Myst V working on Intel Macs, it works great, you just need to download the patch from Ubisoft which allows the installer to run. Afterwards it will install and run with no problem. I played it on my Intel iMac a year or so ago without issues.

I don't know if realMyst will work well or not, since I have not played it on an Intel Mac, or even a Mac for that matter. However, according to this list at MacRumours, it runs very well under Rosetta. It might be hard to find though. I actually never played through the whole thing, since I prefer the original pre-rendered version far more. In my opinion, the entire atmosphere and feel of the original is lost in the newer version.

You might want to try the 10th Anniversary Edition which includes the original Myst, Riven and Exile. These are all fantastic games.

Thanks for the help, I'm looking for realMyst (or the classic one) I find PPC demos, but I click on the link and then safari says ''The server is not responding'' And... what is ''Rosetta''?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the help, I'm looking for realMyst (or the classic one) I find PPC demos, but I click on the link and then safari says ''The server is not responding'' And... what is ''Rosetta''?

Rosetta is a technology incorporated into Mac OS X that allows one to run PPC-only software on an Intel machine.

Apple - Rosetta

Reaction score
The link above states that it only runs on OS 9 or below.

I re-iterate the OPs question: Is there a good version of the original MYST for Intel / Snow Leopard?

David

UPDATED: OK, I clicked on Standard instead of 10th Anniversary, and it looks like it runs on "MAC." Hope that includes os X 10+ because I went ahead and ordered. Can anyone verify Myst Standard will run on Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The link above states that it only runs on OS 9 or below.

I re-iterate the OPs question: Is there a good version of the original MYST for Intel / Snow Leopard? David

It appears there isn't. However, you can always install Windows on your Intel Mac using Boot Camp and run the latest Myst that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Myst is by far the best game every crated for PC. I've yet not seen anything that beats out that franchise.

Myst and Riven on the iPhone are pretty amazing also.

Reaction score
Myst is by far the best game every crated for PC. I've yet not seen anything that beats out that franchise.

Myst and Riven on the iPhone are pretty amazing also.
That's great.

So, can answer the question? do you play it on os X?

Reaction score
I just wanted to be sure that the MYST 10th Anniversary DVD Edition cannot be played on a Mac OS X Intel Core i5. Am I correct?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I just wanted to be sure that the MYST 10th Anniversary DVD Edition cannot be played on a Mac OS X Intel Core i5. Am I correct?

you are correct.

If you would like to play Myst on your mac natively, i believe the only way you can is by having 10.6.8 or lower with Rosetta installed, and even then, only realMyst will work.

Reaction score
Any games LIKE Myst out now for OSX Lion (or Intel based)?

So, I'm a fan of the Myst games and any other escape/puzzle games - especially 3D ones. So, are there any games that are first person puzzle games like Myst out now for Lion? or at least Intel and not powerPC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.