Why do we have to pay to update to 3.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have purchased the 2gen itouch and for the life of me cant understand why, why, why we have to spend our hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$ on a bloody update to 3.0 ?????? and to top the day off is there any need what so ever for the update to be 237mb or so ???

This has me so baffled.
There not a cheap ipod per say and then u have to spend more to update.....
GRRRRRR:Shouting: :Shouting:

Anyways what does the rest of the believers think.....
Im interested

Reaction score
I have to say that I do think it is funny that ipod touch users have to pay for the upgrade. 3.0 upgrade has many more features for the iphone than the ipod touch. Since upgrading, I really only use the copy and paste and spotlight. Sure, there are other minor improvements, but I do find it ironic that the ipod touch 2nd generation users are required to purchase. In any case, $10 isn't that much for me to really kick and scream, but I hear what your saying.

On top of that, spotlight isn't 100% yet. I find that if I type in an event, in spotlight to find on Calender, it only brings back a few of the times the event shows up on my calender. I can confirm that events that don't show up in spotlight are in fact on my calender on my ipod touch.

Copy and paste seems great....but whoopeee. My old Palm V had this feature 8-10 years ago.

Today I tried out the find my iphone feature. Really not that great on the ipod touch. First of all, your ipod touch has to be connected to a wifi network meaning that if you dropped it at a restaurant or movie theatre etc., your out of luck. Second, you will get a general location since it doesn't have a GPS. Finally, on my ipod touch, I turned the sound all of the way down and then tried the feature. I couldn't hear any sound and then realized that volume does matter for the ipod touch. So, it really isn't all that helpful here either.

I guess gaming between ipod touches could be cool, but I have yet been able to try that out.

So for me....it has been a pretty expensive copy and paste.

There was a list of really important things that I sent to apple 8 months ago that I was hoping to see improvements on. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvements on those areas. Some of those things are:

1. After you have saved an event on a calender, you can't move it to another calender.

2. Contact Groups. Really pretty screwy on the ipod touch. If you have groups formed with other groups, then the ipod touch will not show those other groups in the group.

3. Email groups. I guess I am the only one on the planet that would love to be able to select a group to send emails out to. You can currently only add one contact at a time and definitely not add a group.

I have other things, but it really belongs in its own post. So my point is that I was hoping to see other improvements that would really benefit both ipod touch and iphone users and I feel that the features mainly improve the iphone, yet ipod touch users are hit with the cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I updated my 1st Gen iTouch and as yet I have not found anything of the new features that work on it - so it has been a complete waste of money.

I have not risked updating my iPhone yet, following the posts I have seen regarding problems with it. :\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So Copy and Paste does not work on your touch? It does on my friends.

I have not had ONE issue with 3.0 in my iPhone 3g.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Today I tried out the find my iphone feature. Really not that great on the ipod touch. First of all, your ipod touch has to be connected to a wifi network meaning that if you dropped it at a restaurant or movie theatre etc., your out of luck. Second, you will get a general location since it doesn't have a GPS. Finally, on my ipod touch, I turned the sound all of the way down and then tried the feature. I couldn't hear any sound and then realized that volume does matter for the ipod touch. So, it really isn't all that helpful here either.
I have my fair share of gripes with 3.0 but this complaint is a little silly. First off, you must know that because the iTouch doesn't have GPS you're only going to get an approx. location when it looks for your location. The fact that it can estimate the location of your iTouch using wifi signals is pretty amazing and I ask you to show me a PMP that lacks a GPS chip/cell signal that can do something similar. The Skyhook location service said I was 49m from my house when I asked it to find my location. That's pretty close for a technology that uses wifi signals to estimate my location.

Your problems are groundless because you're trying to compare the iTouch to a phone and complaining that certain features don't work because it lacks the essential hardware/software that it just doesn't have/isn't capable of. This is like me complaining that a Jeep Cherokee can't go as fast as a Porsche Carrera GT. In this case, of course the Jeep can't go as fast because it wasn't engineered to do so. In terms of the iTouch, it can't do what the iPhone does in certain respects because it wasn't engineered to do so. In short, you're expecting way too much out of a device that wasn't designed to do what you want it to do. If you're this dissatisfied with your iTouch, buy an iPhone.

And while I'll I am perturbed by the $10 upgrade fee, think of how much more money goes into an iPhone. You spend $10 every ~ 4.29 days for an iPhone (assuming you spend $70 for voice and data a month). How much would you spend on your iTouch every 4.29 days?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have purchased the 2gen itouch and for the life of me cant understand why, why, why we have to spend our hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$ on a bloody update to 3.0 ?????? and to top the day off is there any need what so ever for the update to be 237mb or so ???

This has me so baffled.
There not a cheap ipod per say and then u have to spend more to update.....
GRRRRRR:Shouting: :Shouting:

Anyways what does the rest of the believers think.....
Im interested

No one is forcing you to upgrade to 3.0. The last version before 3.0 still works the last time I checked. >_>"

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No one is forcing you to upgrade to 3.0. The last version before 3.0 still works the last time I checked. >_>"

BANG, BANG, didnt you hit the nail on the head..... Yes no-one is twisting my arm to upgrade. 100% correct....
My point was though why do we have to pay for it ... IF we do want to upgrade???

I didnt pay for the 10.5.7 for my MB... they call that a UPDATE no $$$$ spent but if they call it a UPGRADE does that give them the right to charge ????

Was looking into the future really when i UPGRADED.... if they come out with cool APPS in the future and you need the upgrade... Dont you like your equipment being the latest and up to date ???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, 2.x.x to 3.0 is more like 10.5 to 10.6, which you have to pay for, if you want to equate the iPhone updates to OS X updates. The 10.5.x updates are like the 2.x.x updates, which are free.

My point was though why do we have to pay for it ... IF we do want to upgrade???
Sorry, but this is a vacuous question. We have to pay for upgrades because that's how business works. Like CR said, if you don't want to upgrade, don't. If you do, you have to realize that upgrading costs money. So, contrary to what appears to be your assertion that updates and upgrades are (or should be) synonymous, they aren't. It's not that Apple has decided that one costs money and the other doesn't. There is, in many cases, a big difference between the meanings of the two words.

So, yes, many of us like our equipment to be up to date. This desire comes with a cost and if you don't like the cost, don't do it. Like you said, no one is forcing you to do it. You can't want something but not want to do something for it. If you did, no one would ever get anything.

Reaction score
jajajaja just it's necesary to pay for it? can you just... you know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I personally have no complaints with the upgrade. I gave the $10 fee a brief thought, and then went on. That is the way business works in this world. My wife spends more than that on coffee in a week! :D

To me it was well worth it to pay to unlock previously crippled hardware (bluetooth) that was already in place and never active. That bugs me more than the $10 fee. I have happily been wireless with headphones since the day 3.0 came out. One other nice thing was that when I plugged my generation 1 in it got 3.0 too and not at an additional cost. I thought that I would have to pay again and on a generation 1 that is not something that I would have done.

Reaction score
I have my fair share of gripes with 3.0 but this complaint is a little silly. First off, you must know that because the iTouch doesn't have GPS you're only going to get an approx. location when it looks for your location. The fact that it can estimate the location of your iTouch using wifi signals is pretty amazing and I ask you to show me a PMP that lacks a GPS chip/cell signal that can do something similar. The Skyhook location service said I was 49m from my house when I asked it to find my location. That's pretty close for a technology that uses wifi signals to estimate my location.

Your problems are groundless because you're trying to compare the iTouch to a phone and complaining that certain features don't work because it lacks the essential hardware/software that it just doesn't have/isn't capable of. This is like me complaining that a Jeep Cherokee can't go as fast as a Porsche Carrera GT. In this case, of course the Jeep can't go as fast because it wasn't engineered to do so. In terms of the iTouch, it can't do what the iPhone does in certain respects because it wasn't engineered to do so. In short, you're expecting way too much out of a device that wasn't designed to do what you want it to do. If you're this dissatisfied with your iTouch, buy an iPhone.

I completely understand the lacking of hardware in the ipod touch. I guess my biggest gripe on find my iphone was the fact that it has a bug on the ipod touch. The bug being the fact that if your ipod touch's volume is down, you will never hear the alarm.

My other point that I am making is exactly what you are saying. The fact that the ipod touch is missing much of the hardware of the phone, keeps it from taking advantage of many of the new features that 3.0 has. So it seems silly that the people paying for the upgrade would be the ipod touch users.

But then again...it makes sense if you just want to view it as Apple giving the iphone users a break since they are paying an arm and a leg each month anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i didnt know you could upgrade the gen 1 iPod Touch b/c when i was going to do it.. it stated at the top corner only for 2nd gen iTouches.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can assure you from first hand experience (being a 1G iTouch owner) that you can install the 3.0 update.

Reaction score
Call me a cynical old brit if you must but:
Since I upgraded iTunes to 8.2.1 and not bought the version 3.0 upgrade for my iTouch G2, I have had nothing but trouble!

iTunes locks up and has to be force quit on a regular basis.Very annoying!!
Can't adjust the volume on iTouch when using it as a remote for my hi-fi. (not sure about this one, but it feels different).

My main gripe is that iTunes locks up.

Anyone any ideas?

Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
And while I'll I am perturbed by the $10 upgrade fee, think of how much more money goes into an iPhone. You spend $10 every ~ 4.29 days for an iPhone (assuming you spend $70 for voice and data a month). How much would you spend on your iTouch every 4.29 days?

A little late here, but just wanted to comment that I think that van is right on the money, so to speak. The iPhone continues to generate income for Apple after you walk out the door, while the iTouch may or may not depending on how much of your content is actually purchased from the iTunes store. Therefore, it is easy to understand how an fee-based upgrade might be seen as a way to draw additional income from existing users who might otherwise generate no additional income for the company after the initial purchase.

Further, when I think back to all of the gadgets I've owned in the last 15 years, most never had an upgrade offered - the latest operating system (Palm, PPC, Win Mobile, etc.) came out only on new products and too bad if you had bought yours only weeks or months before. So, right off the bat it seems to me a good thing that the upgrade in OS is even available.

And again, $10 isn't really so bad, given that many would have paid that much for multiple apps to get some of the new features available in the new OS.

But just as with complaints about the scope of the upgrade itself, you'll never satisfy everyone. If it were free, some would still complain that the features weren't worth the price. And if you couldn't get the upgrade at all (through legal means) some would pay even more to get it through other sources.

The reality is that we are all subject to the whims of the corporate powers that be. Whether we can get an upgrade or not, whether we will have to pay for it or not, it is really up to them isn't it. Our freedom of choice is to use the product or not, and whether we are willing to pay the asking price for changes (~improvements) in capability and function. Apple is not the only company out there with which we have this sort of relationship and they certainly aren't the worst when it comes to how far they are willing to push their own advantage. It is just the world we live in.

Reaction score
I've upgraded my iPod Touch 2nd Gen to 3.0 a couple of weeks ago and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. I love 3.0. Copy and paste is excellent. It is great to have an MP3 Player that works just as well as a "netbook."

I love playing games on my iPod touch also. There are some really good games out there that would cost you more if they were for the, lets say, PSP. Some of these games play better than some PSP and DS games.

Soon I will be getting rid of my iPod Touch and giving it to my mom as I will be buying an iPhone 3GS Monday (contract is finally up for upgrade on my old piece of crap phone).

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well now im impressed ....... Once bought and paid for the 3.0 update is mine and have just bought a bigger ipod touch and its a automatic installation on it. Dont have to buy twice.... One good thing out of it all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Soon I will be getting rid of my iPod Touch and giving it to my mom as I will be buying an iPhone 3GS Monday (contract is finally up for upgrade on my old piece of crap phone).

congrats it is a great phone i have not had any real problems with it at all.. love the phone. i have had mine for about 2 weeks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz 2GB Ram 120GB Hard Drive
Not a dime

I exchanged a refurb for a new iTouch last week. The refurb had 3.0, but the one I got in return did not. I updated it when I got home and wasn't charged a nickle.

Reaction score
just received my Itouch last Monday, 8/10. sucks that it didn't come with 3.0!!! had to pay for update yesterday. shouldn't it come with most current update?

calling Apple tomorrow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.