Data pull from old to new

Reaction score
I,ve had my 13"MBP for almost 3 weeks now and love it. My old Dell inspiron 6400 died about 2 months ago and well its going in the trash. I did pull the HD and was wondering the best way to pull the data off it and into my MBP. Its only a 120g with about 70g of info on it (mostly music and movies, but some files i need too). What is my best option?
Thanks in advance.
Lawrence

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can do it several ways:

One way is to purchase an external USB carrier and hook it to your MBP. Once the old HDD is mounted on your desktop, you can drag and drop whatever music and videos you want.

Another way would be to use an adapter similar to this one.

You'll also need a third party driver in order for your MBP to be able to read and write to the data on your old Dell's hard drive which is more than likely formatted to NTFS. I recommend "Paragon NTFS". Mac OS X can read but not write to NTFS formatted drives. FAT-32 is both read and write.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Since im in the bush of Alaska (Denali) im trying to purchase from Newegg and combine shipping with some ram im picking up as well. My HD is a Toshiba 120g and i plan on using it as a backup once all the stuff is pulled from it. Since i live out of 2 suitcases im looking for something light and ultra portable. what do you think about this one? any other suggestions are welcome too.
Newegg.com - macally PHRS250CC Aluminum 2.5" USB 2.0 & 1394 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Once i grab all my stuff ill probably wipe the drive clean and use it as my backup.
Thanks,
Lawrence

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular external carrier is fine (a tad expensive) if you intend to use it with a SATA drive. Is the 120 GB drive from your Dell SATA? If the Dell drive is an IDE drive, that carrier will not work.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about a $10 to $20 difference in price between carriers (it will probably cost me more to ship it up here than what it costs). and will probably take up to 3 weeks to get here. i just want something that will get the job done. it has pretty good overall reviews so that is why i chose that one.
Thanks again for your time.
lawrence

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.