producing music

W

whoriental

Ok, so I have been playing around with Garageband for a little while. It seems fun but not so powerful. I just switched from pc so I know little to nothing about producing in Macs. I was wondering what programs might be good to use? I am trying to do alot of live stuff in which i will be getting equipment soon. How much ram should I get?? Will my processor cover it?? And is pro tools a program or acually stuff? I am confused about that one. Also is it possible for me to upgrade my ram by myself.

OP
M

meltbanana314

All you need is a little Logic (http://www.apple.com/logic/) and Reason (http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm) and a little free time. A rich relative wouldn't hurt either.

For RAM, I'd get a gig or more. Audio production is processor-intensive stuff.

ProTools is a mixture of software and hardware componets designed for audio production. It's teriffic(ally expensive.)

Yes, you can upgrade the RAM by yourself. Go to Apple's support site and do a search on how to upgrade RAM on the PB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
those are all the best, there are others, soundtrack is more for audio editing, bias makes some good audio apps, live.
as far as ram, its very easy, located under the keyboard, beneath the airport card slot.

OP
K

Kokopelli

whoriental has a PB not an iBook I believe. So the memory is accessed from the bottom of the laptop, not by removing the keyboard. It is as easy as it gets, as long as you have a small enough phillips head.

OP
I

iDVFH.

I have 256 MB of ram in my iBook..if I upgraded to 512 would there be a noticeable difference in speed when I have alot of applications and windows running?

OP
K

Kokopelli

DV'SiBOOKG4 said:
I have 256 MB of ram in my iBook..if I upgraded to 512 would there be a noticeable difference in speed when I have alot of applications and windows running?

Yes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ah, I stand corrected. I didn't see a mention of the laptop type, and didn't look at the mac specs.
@ DV'SiBOOKG4
there would be a noticeable difference, but if you're planning on upping your ram, I suggest going as far as you can with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.