Upgrage from 1g to new 3g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
I just bought a 8gb, 1g ipod touch for $50 off craigs list. The kid was selling it really cheap, because he got the 2g and because when you plug in (any) set of headphones, sound only comes out of the left headphone. I have tried cleaning the port, etc. to get it to work, and don't think that is going to ever happen.

Here is my dilemma:

All along, the only reason I bought this ipod touch, is to have something to mess around on, try different apps, etc. before getting the newest generation if rumors are true, and one comes out in September.

I am not sure anymore if I should upgrade if a new one comes out. If I plug the ipod touch into my car (I have a ipod car adapter that plugs right into the USB), the sound comes fine and plays in both speakers. I mostly use the ipod in the car, and if I'm out of the car I have an ipod shuffle.

BUT, there are clear things that make me want to upgrade. 1. There are rumors of a camera on the new ipod touch. 2. I like being able to have both headphones work so if I choose to use the touch for music I can. 3. If I'm playing games, I like having surround sound effects with two headphones. 4. There is no external speaker on the 1g, and obviouslly will be on on the 3g since there is on the 2g. That is a nice feature.

Let me know what others opinions are please....

Thank you!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I think you should just wait and see when it comes out. When you see it, you will know if you will want it or not. Hopefully it will be awesome and you will have a reason to pick one up :D

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Haha that is what I am really hoping for as well. I know I would like the new one a lot better. The external speaker alone does that for me. It's just about the money really. It's a very expensive investment especially since I did get a reasonably working one for so cheap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
Yeah, wait until the new one is announced and see if the features are worth it to you. In the mean time, I'd try to take it into apple and see how much they want to fix it, or if it is still by chance covered under warranty.

If they don't want a lot to fix it, i would go ahead and fix it, then come late august sell it on ebay before they announce the new one, and you won't have to pay much to upgrade. Just my .02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz/160GB HDD Unibody
Def wait until you are sure whats gonna be on it because rumors arent always 100% accurate

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm going to wait but I will probably get the newest gen when it comes out and try to sell this one

Reaction score
When is the new gen coming out?

If the rumors are true (camera, etc), you should expect to at least hear about it in September. That's when Apple usually releases their updates and upgrades to the iPod line.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be announced in September once they are done with the student promotion where they are giving them away with the purchase of a laptop.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be announced in September once they are done with the student promotion where they are giving them away with the purchase of a laptop.

I know they do the back to school promo every year, but maybe they are just trying to get out the stock of soon-to-be outdated iPod Touch 2G's.

Good point.

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hoping that in about a month to hear of the new iPod touch. I'm pretty confident that a new one will be released. How long does it generally cost for companies to make cases, screen protectors etc.? I'm looking to get one the day they are released but won't touch it without a case or screen protector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I'm hoping that in about a month to hear of the new iPod touch. I'm pretty confident that a new one will be released. How long does it generally cost for companies to make cases, screen protectors etc.? I'm looking to get one the day they are released but won't touch it without a case or screen protector

Generally not too long to get accessories out. If they do release a new model and keep the screen the same you should be able to get it protected with existing products for Gen 1 and 2 touches. Also, if you use one of those pouch type cases it should fit all models.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.