"R" key wont work when typing in WEP key

Reaction score
Hello,
As many other mac users, I have had trouble connecting to my community internet here at my apartment. I enter the password and my mac tells me there has been an error joining the network. On my imac it works just fine. Anyway, I found that the answer to this problem was to put a dollar sign before it. This is the article that I found ...

AirPort Express: Difficulty joining third-party network that is using WEP

Now here is my problem:

The other day the internet was down, so I connected to a neighbors internet. Now that the internet is back on I am told to re-enter the password. The password is "briar" if I type in briar it works fine, but won't connect. I type the $ before it, as I used to and, but then my computer won't let me type the letter r. If I type briar first, I can't add a $ before the word. It's the strangest thing. Any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the WEP set to HEX or ASCIII on your Macbook??

OP
M
Reaction score
There are 4 options, WEP, Wep-hex, Wep-ascIII and Leap. I am set to WEP, but the password "briar" or "$briar" doesnt work on any of these options, and I know for a fact that I have the right password.

The funny thing is that it worked a couple of weeks ago using the dollar sign trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
try figuring out what briar converts to in whichever hex line you're using and enter that hex line?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are using an ASCII Key. I tried it here and I can type it in with the $ in front with no issues on any or my macs.

That very key worked before on his system, so something has gone wrong. I set up a router here for WEP and an ASCII instead of HEX key with that briar and all letters entered in fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.