ibook g3 problem

Reaction score
hi all i'm new to this site i bought an ibook g3 500mhz from ebay when it arrived it was in pieces with the fan removed i reassembled it and it works but after about ten minuets the screen goes corupt i booted it with the bottom detached and it worked perfectly and i watched a full dvd but i noticed the fan didnt spin all the time the base was off and i've never heard it spin when it was all together would a new fan cure this or is the logic board no good any help would be much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

Firstly, the fan probably wouln't need to kick in if the base is off, as the machine would not get hot enough.

Secondly, I think the screen corruption after a while is one of the classic symptoms of the graphics chip on the logic board becoming unsoldered.
With the whole machine back in one piece, when the screen becomes garbled, if you press hard on the palm rest to the left of the mousepad, does the corruption go away?
That would indicate that the graphics chip has loosened and your pressing down pushed it back into a proper connection.

Hope this helps in your diagnosis

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
D
Reaction score
hi i let it run untill the screen scrambled i timed it it took 27 mins pressing on the palmrest and the base did nothing it got very hot underneath and the whole system froze because i couldnt eject the dvd drive or do anything does this sound like graphics fault or something else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Sorry, I've read your original post again.
The fact that it seems to run OK with the bottom off may well indicate overheating.
Feel round the vents at the back and see if any hot air is being blown out. You can also hear if the fan is working, especially just after powering up.
If nothing, check the fan spins freely as there may be fluff in it.

Failing that I would wait until someone more experienced comes along to chip in.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
D
Reaction score
hi i felt around the heat sink and no air is being blown the fan spins freely by hand it just doesnt work i have bought a second hand fan off ebay hopefully that will fix it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.