using Time Machine

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to mac computers and I've been experimenting with all the new features for the past week. Right now, I'm playing with Time Machine, the backup utility that's supposed to automatically backup your hard drive to another storage device. I've got an external hard drive on which Time Machine operates. I have two questions:

1) How do I configure Time Machine so that I can change the time at which it does its daily backup? It told me that the next backup will be performed at 5:56pm but it only started at 8:30pm.

2) Is Time Machine only supposed to backup the Applications folder? I was told it would do a full hard drive backup, but I only see the Applications folder on my external hard drive. Can this be configured? If so, how?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the world of Mac computers!

1. You can adjust the interval that Time Machine performs its backups with this handy free utility: TimeMachineScheduler

2. Make sure you've selected your "MacIntosh HD" for backup. It might be helpful to read through the following tutorial for using Time Machine. Link

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips chscag...

1) TimeMachineScheduler doesn't really give me the option to set a time to start the backup, but it gives me the option to choose when NOT to. I set it not to back up my software between 5:00am and 12:00 midnight - I assume it's going to do a back up sometime between midnight and 5am???

I set it to back up every 12 hours, but this will actually be every 24 hours.

2) The tutorial doesn't really tell me how to return to the setup screen to make changes after the first time I set it.

Reaction score
I simply turned mine off and once a week (my need) I turn it back on, and tell it to backup then turn it back off again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My Time Machine backup is set to back up over my wifi to a 1TB external that's hooked up to my old Mac Mini. Sort of a poor man's Time Capsule.

Word of warning though: make sure the initial full backup is with the external directly hooked up to the machine you're backing up; 400+ GB takes entirely too long to do over wifi. Once that's done as long as I'm on my wifi and connected to my Mac Mini, it works beautifully. I turn TM off when I take it to work and turn it on when I get back home. Same disk used to back up my wife's macbook which is good because it's set it up and she doesn't need to pay any attention to it whatsoever but she still gets backed up.

I think I payed $138 for that 1TB drive at best buy. Disk is huge and cheap these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
My Time Machine backup is set to back up over my wifi to a 1TB external that's hooked up to my old Mac Mini. Sort of a poor man's Time Capsule.

Did you have to do anything special or particular to make this work? I can't get Time Machine to accept my external when it's connected via wireless network. It works fine on each machine while connected physically, but then over the network it says the drive is not formatted correctly (which it is).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Did you have to do anything special or particular to make this work? I can't get Time Machine to accept my external when it's connected via wireless network. It works fine on each machine while connected physically, but then over the network it says the drive is not formatted correctly (which it is).

Well, what I did was as follows:

Connected drive (a MyBook, BTW) to Macbook Pro and tried to use Disk Utility to format it as Mac JFS format. Found out that there is a problem with Disk Utility formatting disks larger than 500GB. Thus I partitioned it into two logical drives; one being 600GB for my backup (I have two external drives on my MBP one being 250GB, the other 80GB in addition to the 160MB internal) the other 400GB for my wife's Macbook, which has a single 120GB drive to back up. Formatted those logicals as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Hooked this up to Mac Mini, shared them over the network and set up users to allow it to be seen over the network. Connected them to MBP with the Go->Connect to server and entering the IP of the Mac Mini so the drive showed up on my desktop (the two shares are named "Walker's Time Machine Backup" and "Jessica's Time Machine Backup" respectively.)

Told Time Machine to use "Walker's Time Machine Backup" as it's external backup volume. Started backup, and quickly realized that this was going to take about two weeks over the network so screw that. Abort backup and tell Time Machine to slag off for a bit.

Hooked up MyBook directly to my MBP via USB, told Time Machine to use this volume to do the backup, which initially would be a full (oh, and I deleted the backup that had been started on that partition; it's just a big file) and let that go. Took about 3 hours. Awhile, but not unreasonable.

Did the same with my wife's Macbook. Her initial full backup being to the "Jessica's Time Machine Backup" partition.

Plugged MyBook back into Mac Mini and shared the partitions. On MBP connected to share, told Time Machine to use that as the backup volume. On next backup Time Machine did partial incremental backup as if it were hooked up directly since it found the appropriate initial full that I did earlier over USB. Repeat for wife's Macbook to the other partition.

Now it works quietly in the background. When I'm home I connect to the Mini and turn on Time Machine and it just works. When I go to work part of my disconnect ritual after 'disconnect all external stuff', 'throw mouse and power brick into bag', is a step of 'turn time machine off' somewhere between all that and 'disconnect external monitor' before I close the lid and throw it in my bag to take to work. When I get home there is a 'connect to Mac Mini', and 'turn Time Machine back on' after connecting up all the external stuff for the evening. Sounds complex, but it really isn't.

If I have to get the odd file here or there, I can just go into Time Machine and grab the files. If I had to do a full restore, I can grab the MyBook and hook it up directly to whichever Mac needs the full and do the restore. Very convenient. My Mac Mini serves as both my backup server and Media Center in the bedroom. All wireless, all transparent. Pretty cool eh?

Hmm, perhaps this should be a sticky for backing up on an external volume on your wireless network using Time Machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.