Imac alu 3.06GHz not booting up..

Reaction score
Greetings!

My iMac is acting up, and I hope that someone here may be able to help.

I'd better do a brief timeline of what have happened, as it have evolved a little during the past 24 hrs..

Yesterday:
1. The machine froze solid, while I was online playing a MMORPG game, I rather enjoy.

2. After waiting a wee bit for the machine to snap out of it, I decided to do a hard shut down and reboot.

3. The machine wasnt able to go past the start up chime with black screen. It just went on endlessly. I shut it down and tried again. I repeated this quite a few times. Only change was that sometimes the chime would sound a little muffled compared to other..

4. I let it cool down for an hour. Tried again. Same result.

5. I tried to run the interior hardware test. It wouldn't go past the chiming.

6. Tried the command-s / shift / and installation disc-boot tricks - no result.

7. Took out the RAM and replaced them with the originals. - no result. I tried to boot with a variaty of set ups with the RAM. - no result.

8. Took out the powercord and let it sit for a few hours. Then tried again. It now booted up as normal and just as I sighed of relief the screen went grey - then black - then the machine shut down and the chiming came back.

9. Took out the powercord - it booted in command-s. I then tried to run the fsck, but the screen went black before I could see anything about the system.

Today:
10. Thought I would give it one more go. The machine booted as normal. Then repeated step 8, but didnt shut down. It sounded like it was still running altho those wee processor-sounds were not there. The screen was grey.

11. Shut it down and tried to reboot. Chime -> grey screen -> nothing.

12. Wrote this.

I am at the point now, where I have no clue what to do next other than either try and open the machine to check for "dust" in the physical interior - or hand it over to my local Apple-vendor to let them have a go at it. I dont have AppleCare, as I forgot about it.. (brilliant, i know)

The reoccuring problem is, that the screen goes either grey or black no matter which "trick-of-the-trade" I try to pull on the iMac.. I can -however- boot it after having left the cord out a bit. When it boots up, it loads all the way with programs and everything and is actually fully usable for one minute max. Then the screen goes grey/black.

As i have been searching my brain for anything I might have done wrong to it, I remembered that it have done the chime-repeating a few times before. It chimed two or three times, but then booted up, and I thought nothing more of it. The machine is bought in may last year, so I kinda doubt, that the interior would be able to get so dirty, that this would be the reason (?)

Any ideas on what I could try to do, or thoughts on what might be the problem will be highly appreciated!

Thanks! (and sorry for the wall of text :) )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It definitely sounds like a hardware defect - probably either the power supply or it could even be the logic board. The fact that the machine will operate for awhile and then shut down points to either possibly being bad.

Also, you've pretty much exhausted all the recommended tests with no joy.

Unless you're a "do it yourself" guy it's probably best to have someone look at your iMac and give you an estimate of repair cost. Since the machine is out of warranty and has no Apple care coverage, the burden is on you. A new logic board for that machine (if that's the problem) can be costly. Power supply replacement is less costly but certainly not inexpensive.

If you would like a list of on line repair service centers, post back. Otherwise your local Apple store or authorized Apple repair service center is your best bet to have it repaired.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the respons!

I just had a friend try to boot it in targetmode via his mac. No luck. It booted as it should, then went a-wall - then went to the chime-cycle as he tried again. The hunch points to the logic board at the moment, Im affraid.

Im handing it over to my local AppleStore to let them have a look. With any luck, Im covered by an additional 12 month limited waranty, if there is evidence, Im not to blame for the defect. *crosses fingers*

Thanks again.

regards
/rasmus

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.