CD Insertion Making Weird Sounds?

Reaction score
I just bought a brand-new Macbook, fully equipped with Mac OS X Leopard (or whatever it's called). I have worked on Windows all my life, and this is my first Mac, and while I'm still getting my feelers for the system--is my CD drive supposed to do this?

I recorded it taking the disk. Click here.

I suppose I thought that my MacBook was supposed to just take CDs automatically, and I didn't have to jam them in all the way. Am I delusional? Does MacBook Pro only have the self-grab ability? Every CD I've put into my MacBook's drive does this. It sounds scary, but it seems to work perfect.

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It does make a sound and you have to place it in almost all the way for it to grab.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is the sound of a properly functioning slot load drive on your Mac.

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to mac's, but when I got mine a few weeks back one of the Software Updates was a firmware update for the drive, to make it a little bit quieter.

But Yes it does sound loud and broken when you put cd's in, and it does feel like you need to push them in a bit too far. Small trade-off for such a beautifully crafted slotdrive.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Completely normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I actually like that sound..... I think it's real space age. When my Mac's running a bit hot and the fans get cranking, I like to put in a disc then, and listen to the take off sounds combined :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.