Black Top Case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
The top case on my black first generation Macbook has a small crack in it. The crack is located along the left side beside the keyboard and above all the ports. I could hear something rattling around inside so I took the top case apart. I've done this before with a friends when she spilt something inside. Just to make sure I printed off step by step instruction guide. Everything went fine until I was reconnecting the ribbon cable. My cat jumped on the table caused my hand to twitch and break 4 metal pins out of the ribbon connector. :Oops: I tried reassembling the top case with the connectors loose but barely making contact. Now only the power button works. I was really upset to learn that I probably could have got the top case warrantied by Apple had I no touched it and broke it. :Angry: So now I assume I'm on my own to buy a top case. Is the ribbon connector for sale anywhere separately? If I buy a top case, does it have to be the same "rev. a" keyboard layout? Or is there any chance that apple will replace the top case anyways because wether I damaged the ribbon or not, the top case is still cracked and would have eventually allowed something to fall inside and damage the computer anyways? O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
I don't think I've ever seen anyone sell the ribbon cable to the MB top case alone.
Not even sure if you can even detach the cable from the top case.

That said, iFixit has the Black MacBook top case for $149.95 USD:
MacBook Upper Case with Keyboard (Black) (922-7886, 922-7601, 922-8126) - iFixit

Hmm.. this one is the Santa Rosa/Penryn MacBook top case, different Fn keys than the one above:
MacBook Santa Rosa/Penryn Upper Case with Keyboard (922-8264, 922-8265) - iFixit
$179.95 USD for the Black top case, "Stock-A," whatever that means.

The "rev. a" keyboard layout is the one with the media controls in the Fn keys yes? If so you'll have to go with the one that costs $179.95 USD.

As for getting Apple to fix it, you can ask, though they would likely charge you a pretty penny.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I've seen on ebay some for like $45-75 plus shipping. My Macbook is the one with the apple logo on the two keys at the end of the space bar. Also the volume controls are on the left side beside the brightness keys. there are no media keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
Ah, your keyboard is like my MB then, no media keys, then the first link in my last post should be the one you want.

Though if you can find it on eBay for less, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram GMA X3100
I would recommend taking it into apple if it's still covered by your Apple Care or warranty. Just see what they say. You can always say no if they are going to charge you some money. I took my macbook in two days ago because the backlight kept flikering on and off. They said they would replace the inverter and the cable for free. I got a call today and said that they had noticed that there was a crack on the top case as well as the Display Bezel which they replaced for free.

I'm not sure if this is usual but I know that the workers at my Apple store are very friendly and helpful. Give it a try!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.