Side buttons on Microsoft laser mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
I used to be able to use the side buttons on my Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 (I had them set to go back/forward in my browser), also the scroll wheel could be used to activate Expose). For some time now, however, they don't work (only the two main left/right buttons and scroll wheel [when scrolling] do what they're supposed to).

I went to the Microsoft Hardware Discussion Forums but they were useless, also I contacted M$ directly but they told me there was like a $29.95 service fee to ask for help because it was purchased as an OEM item. I tried downgrading to the previous version of Intellipoint (which used to work) but it didn't help. Even USB Overdrive couldn't make them work, which surprised me. Is it something in the latest versions of Leopard that created the problem?

(I'd try a new mouse but I like this one and I've been using it for a long time so I'm used to it.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

I think I actually tried that one as well, I remember a page with Japanese characters and I know I tried two different third-party mouse apps (I only remembered the name of USBOverdrive).

Also I just realized there was a newer version of Intellipoint out (7.0), but installing it didn't help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.