Converter, Slideshow and Video Authoring Software Question

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum but my question covers a lot of items.

Being new to mac (2 weeks) I need a software to be able to convert video files into the proper format for my imac also I'd like it create a slideshow and edit my home movies. Looking through iphoto it doesn't have the extras I'd prefer. Someone on the forums recommended "iSkysoft Video Converter" (thank you!) I downloaded an evaluation copy and it worked great to convert but then I figured why spend $35 on the full version if there is a software that has everything I need. If it even exists.

Thank you for your help!

Karen

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum but my question covers a lot of items.

Being new to mac (2 weeks) I need a software to be able to convert video files into the proper format for my imac also I'd like it create a slideshow and edit my home movies. Looking through iphoto it doesn't have the extras I'd prefer. Someone on the forums recommended "iSkysoft Video Converter" (thank you!) I downloaded an evaluation copy and it worked great to convert but then I figured why spend $35 on the full version if there is a software that has everything I need. If it even exists.

Thank you for your help!

Karen

iSkysoft Video Converter is one of several products underpinned by the same dubious software with multiple front-ends and marketed via spam. You definitely do NOT want to give that company your credit card number.

iDVD can easily create slideshows and iMovie can edit your home movies. These programs come with your Mac.

For converting video to different formats, try Handbrake.

Reaction score
Here's a related problem...

I'm trying to create a video dvd with photograps that I imported into iMovie. I then shared the project into my media browser so I could import it to Garage Band for adding music with better timing and volume control than is available in iMovie. Also, in Garage Band, I added markers that I thought were going to be my chapters that would be recognized by iDVD. From Garage Band, I took the project to iDVD for final chapter development before burning.

The problem is that I can't seem to get iDVD to make the chapters that I had designated in Garage Band.

This sounds like a convoluted way to make a video, but the sequence was suggested by one of the Apple Store educators prior to the recent release of iLife. Hopefully the new version of iLife has a more streamlined way to make this all happen.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.