Is there likely to be a new iPod Classic soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Hi all.

I was going to post this in the Rumours forum, but that's only for links to news stories apparently, so I'll put it here instead...

I recently had a tragic buttock-related incident which has left a few clusters of dead pixels on my ol' faithful iPod Video 60Gb. I was previously planning on running it until it died completely, but even with its slightly dodgy screen, it's perfectly useable. However, it has tickled that little bit at the back of my brain that's secretly constantly pining over the latest gadgets.

So I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's likely to be an update to the iPod Classic any time soon?

I've had a quick nose around the information superhighway, and there only seems to be talk about the iPod Touch and iPhones these days, and I feel like the Classic has remained untouched for the most part for quite a while. Sure, there have been firmware tweaks and HDD size changes, but nothing big. Is there likely to be a big new revolution in the iPod Classic any time soon, or is it likely to say much like it is now as it is quite rightly 'a classic', and who wants to mess with that?

The reason why I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out whether I should just take the plunge and get a Classic soon. Or is there something 'amazing' just around the corner that I should wait for like there often seems to be with the Mac computer lineup?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated! O:)

Thanks,
Al.

PS. I adore the iPod touch, but the most important thing for me is £ per Gb, and I definitely want more Gb than my current iPod next time around, so the Classic it is...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
No one really knows. But solid state memory keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. My guess is that in a year or so, you'll see a 64GB touch. Then a 128GB version a couple years later. At that point the Classic becomes completely obsolete and disappears.

The size and shape of the Classic is limited by the nature of the drive inside. The one thing the Classic is missing is the shake to shuffle feature. But there again, it's probably not a good idea to encourage users to shake a device with a spinning HD.

Just my thoughts...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody, C2D 2.0GHz, 4GB, 500GB
The only thing I can see, is they release a new version with a larger HDD (they might only stick to the thin chassis though). I can see maybe 200GB or a 160GB single platter drive taking over, but I really can't say anything.

What I wish they would do, is make an iPod classis with an SSD in it. That would be good in a lot of ways; performance, battery life, weight and durability. Downside, lower capacity or higher price.

It'll be interesting to see, that's for sure. I love the classic line, but the 6Th gen kinda put me off a bit. The 5.5G was the best imho.

Reaction score
I think they will keep the Classic line how it is right now, but I have a feeling they will make all the chromatic colors available for it in Sept. It's not really a secret that the Classic is primarily for audiophiles and people that carry all their music with them everywhere (as I do), but I think to appease the more youthful crowd, they will add chromatic colors to that lineup. I would also expect to see a drop in price to $199 as opposed to the current $229 tag they have now.

OP
alexknibb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Hi all.

Sorry for late reply - I didn't seem to get my e-mail notifications!

Thanks very much for the replies. Well, I guess the big day is coming up, so we'll find out soon enough. I love the idea of an SSD Classic, but then I guess there's no reason why everything shouldn't go iPod Touch-wards if the capacity is big enough.

I really like the idea of the colours making their way onto the classic, but I suspect as Calijoefornia pointed out, it might be that Audiophiles will only go for the more sober colours whereas the youf crowd will probably go for the Nano or the Touches. Either way, I'd like to see a PRODUCT:RED classic, I think that'd look pretty smart.

Thanks for your input! The buttock-related damage seems to be getting a bit worse so I'm hoping for something good. :)

Al.

Reaction score
I havent read everyones comments but i dont believe if they do release one that it will be solid state because most people dont care about solid state so they would want to pay like £250 for a 120gb ipod classic with solid state. Most people want more space but i dont see the point who has 120gb of music, and if you use it for videos then i dont see the point because the screen is to small and square. Also i dont believe there will be a classic released soon but i dont think apple will be releasing the ipod touch 3rd gen and nano 5gen in a matter of hours also the san fransiscco music event started 30mins ago at 10am usa time which is 6pm uk time at the event someone from apple will announce the releases and also the apple store is down and has been for 3hours.
-Joel

Reaction score
they released the new ipod..nano,shuffle,classic and touch..

shuffle - added 3 colors and external control

nano - wider screen,video camera vga , microphone, fm radio and speakers

classic - added 160gb hd..

touch - 8gb - still the same (updated software only 3.1) 16gb - end of production , 32gb- new features..64gb additional storage capacity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To all the classic comments here.

I agree they are for audophiles. And in my experience they don't care what colour their ipod is, as long as it works, fits in their pocket and can have their entire collection on it at near CD quality. Mind you the classic is good for a part time mac to mac file transfer device too. Still all technical things. And for that reason I think multi colour classics are a bad idea.

But for all the cash strapped teens and others who only need a few tracks with them and the ipod is more a fashion accessory then having then in 5+ flavours is a good idea. I know when my old 30GB classic dies I'll get a coloured nano.

And I agree I think the classic is only alive thanks to the fact SSD drives are a little expensive at the 100+ GB range. When they go down I could see the touches prices coming in par with the Classic for comparable HD sizes. And when that day comes around the classic will finally be dead. And also by that day they'll have the battery life up too.

So my long term prediction for the ipods:

1. There will be an ipod nano one day for around $100. I think it'll be a 4 or 8 GB. And I think that will force the shuffle's off the market. Because I think $100 is the nice price point for people in the nano/shuffle range. And I think even today most people would prefer a Nano to a shuffle. Just add in a track changer on the ipod headphones standard + detachable clip with the nano so it can be left in the pocket/cliped onto clothing with the screen off if desired.

2. SSD drives will get cheaper and cheaper. And battery life will get better too. And when 80+ SSD drives become a little more affordable I think that'll spell the end of the classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
So my long term prediction for the ipods:

1. There will be an ipod nano one day for around $100. I think it'll be a 4 or 8 GB. And I think that will force the shuffle's off the market. Because I think $100 is the nice price point for people in the nano/shuffle range. And I think even today most people would prefer a Nano to a shuffle. Just add in a track changer on the ipod headphones standard + detachable clip with the nano so it can be left in the pocket/cliped onto clothing with the screen off if desired.

2. SSD drives will get cheaper and cheaper. And battery life will get better too. And when 80+ SSD drives become a little more affordable I think that'll spell the end of the classic.
This raises an obvious question: What about those who want to bring the entire collection with them and have the click-wheel? Or is it when the nano can keep 160+ GB that the end of the classic is near?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.