Disappointing iPhone 3G S battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I have been using my new 3G S for just over a week now, and had decided to put it through a few full charges before I started to ask about other users' experience with its battery life. I have WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G turned off in settings, and yet the 3G S's battery life is very disappointing. After fifteen minutes of listening to music or a short while checking email/surfing in Safari, the battery level lowers visibly and quite considerably.

I've contacted my network (O2 UK) who told me to try restoring the iPhone before requesting a replacement. I'll try that but I doubt it'll make much difference. Apparently I can ask for a swap for a new handset up to 28 days after purchase. I just wondered if anyone else has had this sort of experience with the new iPhone. My first generation handset had a much more impressive battery life and I wasn't doing anything differently with it.

Really pleased with the 3G S on the whole but if this sort of performance is standard I don't think I can be doing with it. With what I'd call quite minimal usage the charge doesn't even last the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Exchange it. I get a full day out of mine with heavy usage. On a day with light usage, it still has at least half a charge left.

Here are the settings I have which could relate to battery drain.

My screen brightness is set at about 60%. Auto-brightness on. Bluetooth off. WiFi always on. Email is set to push, with fetch set for 15 minutes. Autolock is set at 1 minute.

Listening to music with the screen off should not have that much affect on the battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The 3.0 software seems to have really reduced my battery life on my first gen, so I'm hoping we'll see quite a bit of an improvement when 3.1 hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I get more than a day with pretty heavy usage on these specs:

WiFi ON
Bluetooth ON
3G OFF
Push OFF
Fetch: 15 minutes
Auto Brightness: ON

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I listened to music for 6 hours straight and text a bunch and also made a few 10 min phone calls qnd I was at about half but my wifi was not on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I have WiFi on, 3G on, listen to music most of the day at work, text, Facebook, and make a phone call here and there, and usually by the end of the day I'm around 30% or 40%. That's just how smartphones are. Blackberries, Palms, and Blackjacks/Jacks all suck battery life really fast too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
That's just how smartphones are. Blackberries, Palms, and Blackjacks/Jacks all suck battery life really fast too.

this is so true.. i had a BB Storm and it was the same way if i was on it all day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.