Making a Bootable Tiger 1.4 CD in Disk Utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I have tried but failed to create a bootable Tiger 10.4 CD Disk 1.

I have the software on a USB drive [4 CD's for a G4 Powermac].

I need to make the first disk bootable so that the Mac can boot from it when pressing C on startup.

So far I have tried to burn the disk image in disk Utilities which was successful, but when I restart my MBP to 'test the disk' before taking it to Wales this weekend to upgrade my Dad's Powermac, it does not boot from CD but load my desktop [as usual] and then mount the image.

I tried starting it pressing option key, but only my HD is visible to boot from.

Please help!

Thanks!

Chris.:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I reckon it's because you are trying to boot a Macbook from CDs designed to boot only a Powermac. The disks that come with a machine will only boot that particular model.
You need Tiger Retail disks to be certain of booting any Mac, but you may still be lucky and find your CDs will work on the Powermac.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Hugh, I think your right there but would love to know if this was definitely the case before traveling half the day to Wales.

I even used Nero to burn an ISO image onto CD of the dmg file - all std 9600 format. Still the same.

When I hold C down the MBP spins the CD and it stays like that for about a minute or two, then it seems to give up and the apple logo is displayed and desktop soon appears.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
nevermind: I misunderstood the first post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try holding down the Option key when booting the MBP, that should give a list of bootable drives available. If your CD is at least recognised as bootable (even though it won't on the MBP) then you should be OK with the Powermac.

Hugh

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I hold the option button the cd is not displayed - just the hdd.

I don't want to install Tiger onto my MBP just test to see if I made disk 1 bootable.

I followed the guides on YouTube to make it bootable by using disk utility selecting the DMG image then burning it slowly.

I even made an iso off my windows machine using Nero with STD format 9600, which also does not work.

I suppose I can test the functionality of the burning by copying my copy of Leopard onto my mac then burn it through disk managent. Once done see it I can boot from it.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All sorted!

I travelled to Wales and upgraded the PowerMac with no problems! The disk was bootable on the G4 but not bootable on the MBP. So I couldnt test to see if it was bootable before traveling.

Tiger is a nice OS BTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad everything went well :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.