No Sound & A Red Light

Reaction score
hello fellow mac-users,
i'm hoping someone can help me out here. i am unable to hear anything through the internal speakers of my powerbook G4, unless i have earphones or external speakers plugged in. since the moment i became aware of this problem, i also noticed that there is now a red light shining from within the headphones jack.
has anyone else had this problem or have any insight as to what this may be and how i may resolve the issue?
my machine is applecare protected...
thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
This might sound obvious, but did you try the volume control buttons on your F keys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hate to be bearer of bad news, but you're either going to need a new logic board or just live with it because the microswitch in the jack is stuck on 'external'. I had this happen to my old Macbook and sure enough it needed a logic board. $1250 which was fortunately covered by Apple Care.

There is a trick you can try though, if you can get something in there tiny to flip the switch you might be able to fix it. Or rapidly plug-in unplug a jack might free the switch. If not, oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.