Macbook won't start up

ND1

Reaction score
Hello, I have a big problem with my macbook (Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13.3" 2GB 120GB approx 3 years old), whenever I try to power it up, it does the normal startup chime and the picture of the Apple and the circulating disc appears but then it tells me I need to restart it, and keeps happening every time.

This all happened after it was not responding as a couple of programs were running, force quit did not work, left it a while and then just held down the power button until it went off. I have looked round the net for ideas and tried a few things, holding different keys down, PRAM, Holding power button for 10 seconds for a reset of something, but then it makes a loud noise and continues to restart up to the point above!

Any help would be really great as I am getting really frustrated and worried I have lost all my stuff.

Thanks, Nick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot your machine with your original install DVD and run Disk Utility from the main menu. Do a verify and repair on the hard drive. Keep running repair until you've cleared all errors (if any). If Disk Utility refuses to run or it can't "see" your hard drive, it's likely the drive is defective.

You might also want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. See the following Apple KB article: Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.