CD Drive won't Read....

S

supr_bikr_99

For some reason my cd drive won't read cd's. I can hear it spinning, but nothing shows up on the desk top. I've got a beige g3 with os 9.2. I made an attempt at upgrading to osx (before I realized it wasn't goning to work....yeah I'm new to this stuff so go easy one me!). After that, the cd drive wouldn't read anything. I was thinking maybe the driver was erased. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you need a dvd rom to install os x, probably why it wont install os x. have you checked apple system profiler to see if the drive even shows up as being connected? try looking in the extensions manager for the driver to your drive.

OP
S

supr_bikr_99

Macman said:
you need a dvd rom to install os x, probably why it wont install os x. have you checked apple system profiler to see if the drive even shows up as being connected? try looking in the extensions manager for the driver to your drive.

The driver is there and turned on, so I'm wondering if the drive is bad. It doesn't sound to heathly if you ask me. There's quite a bit of excess noise. Other than that, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.