• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.mts files using iMovie 09

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15' - iMovie 09
Hi people!

This is my first post and all that so please go easy!

My question's are this...

Can I import .mts files (on an external Hard drive) into iMovie 09, or will I have to use file conversion software first?

Once my iMovie project is ready I would like to upload it to 'Vimeo' (like you tube) using the best quality settings. (retaining HD quality)

any help would be fab! THANKYOU!!!!!

Oh Yeah, using the following

Mac Book Pro
15 inch 2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Memory
320 GB gard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I can't give tips on Vimeo - you may want to do a search for some previous posts from XStep, he has a tutorial for outputting for some of the online video services - I don't know if it would apply for vimeo, but I'm sure it'd at least be a good place to start.

In terms of the .mts - if they are the raw .mts files outside of the structure they would be in for say avchd, then no you can't directly import you will need to convert to something else to bring it into imovie 09.

You can try using: mpegstreamclip (which depending on what created the .mts, it may complain), handbrake, ffmpegx, voltaicHD, or Toast.

Here's a thread at apples forum that has a long discussion and some solution ideas:

Apple - Support - Discussions - raw mts files into imovie 09 ...

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nethfel,

thanks for the heads up!

thinking of downloading Apple - Downloads - Video - VoltaicHD

it's system requirements ask for iMovie (HD or 08) or Final Cut Express/Pro
i have iMovie 09 I guess would work ok?

kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It should work. I have VoltaicHD - it works, but it is slow.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep it's working thanks again!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B~~~ger!

all has been going well with the file conversion from .m2ts to .mov, have had the odd crash of the software, but no big problem.

How ever..... I have just tried to convert a .mt2s file that is 1.8 Gb ( I understand that files over 2Gb are unsupported for file conversion ) maybe I should try and convert said file again when I get home from work, worth ago, but if it does fail to convert from .m2ts to .mov for a second time can anyone throw up some suggestions as to where I go from here?

T H A N K Y O U F O R Y O U R T I M E

jonyfoz

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
please anyone got any ideas, tried it agin and it still crashed.

Reaction score
I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS3 and a mac. The solution took me a while to find, but it is there and it is easy. If you just shot video in AVCHD format, put the SD card in your mac (directly or with a card reader). Use iMovie 09 --> File --->Import from Camera. A new window opens up with the built in isight. In the bottom left, change the "camera" to the card and you are all set.

If you have just saved .mts files on your harddrive, I'm not sure what to do. On the other hand, if you archived the AVCHD directory (in entirety) on the card, this is what I did: I replaced the AVCHD directory on my SD card with the AVCHD folder I previously archived. I was then able to import the video. I don't know of a way to import from the hard drive. Good luck.

Reaction score
hi!
I have a canon hf100 and I have already successfully imported files through iMovie '09 once. But I plugged the camera in again today and somehow iMovie doesn't seem to find it anymore - it only shows the built in isight camera, that's it.
What could I be doing wrong or what could be the problem?

Edit: I have now updated to iLife '11 and it works again. I don't know if that was the problem (would be quite odd!)... I just hope that it keeps working now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.