network diagnostics asks for password to connect to wireless network with no security

Reaction score
hi

I am trying to connect my Mac Pro to a wireless network which has no security settings. Other Macs in the house connect to the network with no problem, but the Mac Pro doesn't. I am setting up a new network as I have moved house. In the previous house the wireless worked fine on the Mac Pro.

When I click on the Airport Icon in the menu bar, the search wheel shows and it finds the network, but when I click on the name of the network typically it doesn't connect. Occasionally it does connect, and I briefly have internet access, but then the number of bars on the Airport Icon gradually reduce and then I can't connect again.

When I run Network Diagnostics from Safari, it finds the network also, but then typically asks for a WEP password for the Wireless Network when I haven't added any security to the network (occasionally it doesn't ask for a password and I can connect briefly)

I have tried resetting my Time Capsule and creating a new wireless network with a different name, but still experience the same issues.

I wonder if someone has any ideas as to what might be going on, and how I might be able to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a look here some good troubleshooting and tech info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.