Dropped iPhone 3GS in water, need advice.

Reaction score
Just as the title states. I dropped it this weekend in water. I immediately turned it off and let it sit. The phone works overall with the exception of my camera and the backlight.

Is this something I can repair? If so, what needs to be replaced?

I'm tempted to just put it up for sale. It's a white 32gb, how much would it be worth with the damages? No other physical damages to the phone other than the water damage. It's mint!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would just sale it. You can probably get a good amount for it on eBay even if it is water damaged. Search eBay for prices on recently sold items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
My 3GS unexpectedly died 7 days after I bought it. I took it back to the Apple store. I figured they would at least check it for water damage or attempt to see if it had been jailbroken/unlocked. But they didn't. When they saw it wasn't working properly, they exchanged it no questions asked. If it doesn't show any evidence of physical damage, I'd take it back to the Apple store and play dumb. They may replace it without asking any questions.

OP
len0475
Reaction score
My 3GS unexpectedly died 7 days after I bought it. I took it back to the Apple store. I figured they would at least check it for water damage or attempt to see if it had been jailbroken/unlocked. But they didn't. When they saw it wasn't working properly, they exchanged it no questions asked. If it doesn't show any evidence of physical damage, I'd take it back to the Apple store and play dumb. They may replace it without asking any questions.

There is a water indicator at the bottom and inside the headphone jack. It turns pink when there are water damage. They'll shine a flashlight down in there to see if there are any damages.

That doesn't mean I won't try it. LoL. I'm waiting a couple more days for it to dry completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yeah it's always nice to scam them out for a new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Sell it, you will be ahead of the game. There are people on ebay who are always looking for broken iPhones,Especially the 3GS.

Reaction score
There is a water indicator at the bottom and inside the headphone jack. It turns pink when there are water damage. They'll shine a flashlight down in there to see if there are any damages.

That doesn't mean I won't try it. LoL. I'm waiting a couple more days for it to dry completely.

Yes and there are two on the logic board that turn pink if the look hard they can tell. Put the phone in a ziplock with silica for a few days and you will probably be fine. If the LCD is hazy you can replace it if you have questions email or pm me. I have a iPhone repair company and we have had good luck with water damage I can give you some tips. The camera and LCD are relatively cheap to replace.

OP
len0475
Reaction score
Well, I went to the Apple Store today and spoke with a Genius named Brian. Told him what happened and he checked to make sure and yup, both indicators went off. Anywho, he ordered me a new phone. I have to turn in my phone and then pay $199.00 for a new one under the replacement plan. Keep my existing warranty and I'm happy. If I went the Ebay route, it would've easily been in the neighborhood of $350 out of pocket.

Reaction score
the same thing happened to me, and i have a question. when you took it to the Apple store and they replaced it, did they give you a new 3GS, or a refurbished one? i ask because they normally give refurbished ones. either way works for me when they replace mine, its just something i was wondering.

OP
len0475
Reaction score
the same thing happened to me, and i have a question. when you took it to the Apple store and they replaced it, did they give you a new 3GS, or a refurbished one? i ask because they normally give refurbished ones. either way works for me when they replace mine, its just something i was wondering.

When you pay the $199 replacement, I was "told" that it is a brand new unit. I must have sat up there for another 30 minutes examining the new unit to make sure it's new and not a refurbished one and I really can't tell the difference. Screen and case looks perfectly new to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
When you pay the $199 replacement, I was "told" that it is a brand new unit. I must have sat up there for another 30 minutes examining the new unit to make sure it's new and not a refurbished one and I really can't tell the difference. Screen and case looks perfectly new to me.

Often refurb doesnt mean it ever made it to a consumers hand it just may not have passed Q/A when being built and was put in a bin where they later address the problem attempt to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.