The @ and " key are mixed up

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and I'm new to Macs as well, long time PC user but I've "seen the light" :p I just picked up a Macbook Pro and I'm getting on alright with but I've come across one prob that is driving me nuts.

The @ and " key are mixed up. I'm used to having the " key over the 2 and the @ key over the '

On a Windows based system you usually just have to change the region of the keyboard in the control panel to fix this, I tried doing the same with my mac and it did nothing.

Is there a way to change this?

Any help would be great

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As far as I know, that's a pretty standard US English keyboard layout. At least it's been on all of my PCs, Macs and even the Amiga back in the day. In fact, the last time I saw a computer with the quote above the 2 was my Commodore 64. Is it possible you purchased the Mac in another country and are used to a keyboard layout from your native country?

File:Qwerty.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
T
Reaction score
European keyboards (at least Irish anyway) have the @ sign over the '

It's really just a personal preference since I've been used to that layout for years, can't seem to find out how to change it :(

OP
T
Reaction score
I checked that, didn't make any difference :( I tried Irish and UK to see, I think it must be something built into the OSX or something.

Besides the link you gave me, the only other one I've found is another guy who seems to be having the same problem who made a patch. I'm not really comfortable with macs yet to be doing that kind of thing.

UK PC Keyboard Patch for Mac OS X - Guys with Towels

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.