If HDD crashes, is data on ALL partitions corrupted, or just inaccessible?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a newbie question.
I have a 1TB external HDD that I want to partition into 4 x 250GB sizes.
I've heard from people that if one partition gets corrupted, the others are fine (you'll have to use data recovery software, but the data itself will not be corrupted, just inaccessible because the drive failed in some way).
On the other hand, I've also heard that if the drive "crashes", that all data might be lost, regardless of the partitioning.

Now, I can understand if the drive in question was the drive in the computer and was running the OS...if that crashed then it would make sense that you wouldn't be able to get to any separate partitions and would therefore have to do data recovery software. But if we're talking about an External HDD that is just a storage HDD and one of the 4 partitions goes south, will that really affect the integrity of the data from the other partitions?

Thanks,

jman995s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If the hard drive goes bad then all the partitions are taken with it.

OP
J
Reaction score
If the hard drive goes bad then all the partitions are taken with it.

That's not the answer I was hoping for. ;D

What is the chance that Data Recovery Software will work? (i.e.: if there's only a couple of ways a drive can fail, will which way your drive failed determine how much data you can recover?.....or it's just a crap-shoot once your drive goes kaput?).

Thanks,

Jman995x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Data Recovery Software is kind of hit or miss. If the drive physically fails then you can have some trouble recovering data.

If it's really really important information I would back it up again on either another external drive or a DVD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It depends on the type of failure of the drive.

If it is due to logical errors, then the other partitions are typically OK.

Any other type of failure takes down the entire drive with it.

Here is a pretty simple explanation.

You should, however, be concerned with any type of failure. If you have data that you can't afford to loose, or can't afford to pay out a couple of thousand dollars or more to get back - invest the hundred bucks in another external drive and consider off-site backup as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on the type of failure of the drive.

If it is due to logical errors, then the other partitions are typically OK.

ANy other type of failure takes down the entire drive with it.

Here is a pretty simple explanation.

Thanks bobtomay. Great link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.