PHP mail(); won't work on XAMPP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.5 (Leopard), 4GB RAM, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 360GB HDD - 24" iMac
(complete PHP/Server-side n00b here)
Title: PHP mail(); won't work on XAMPP 1.0.1 on OSX 10.5

Hi there

I'm coding PHP on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) with the latest version of XAMPP (1.0.1) and I'm having trouble to see why my mail(); won't work. The code seems valid in every way, and it even loads the success statement which its instructed to echo when the function is complete. My only guess is that there is a setting somewhere in XAMPP that is stopping the mail(); from working.

Any ideas as to what to do? Everything in XAMPP is at its default settings, if that is any help.

Everything is newly installed and at its default including the php.ini file.

here is what the current settings are (php.ini) :

PHP:
 // default, untouched.
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

I am running this server locally and just want to test my contact form and a newsletter subscription form.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
I am sure your code is fine, and that it probably should work. I do it differently but there are many ways.

Nevertheless, I dont think the mail function works on XAMP whatever way you look at it. I couldnt get it to work on MAMP (and I assume they are basically the same thing) but when I uploaded the script to my webserver, it worked fine.

:)

Try it on a webserver, let me know.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.5 (Leopard), 4GB RAM, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 360GB HDD - 24" iMac
I am sure your code is fine, and that it probably should work. I do it differently but there are many ways.

Nevertheless, I dont think the mail function works on XAMP whatever way you look at it. I couldnt get it to work on MAMP (and I assume they are basically the same thing) but when I uploaded the script to my webserver, it worked fine.

:)

Try it on a webserver, let me know.

It works fine on the webserver. I didn't have any doubt with my code, it just would have been nice to have a local mailserver possibility setup on the mac so that I don't have to upload files everytime online just to test out small features such as this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.