server "smtp.gmail.com" failed

Reaction score
i have just purchased and unlocked iphone 3g and when trying to set up the account for mail with my gmail account..it says this

server "smtp.gmail.com" failed

i can see emails in my inbox on my phone but cant send anything else out. does anyone know what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
Try this. Main page - Settings > Scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Select Gmail> Ensure the account is switched on; then check the outgoing mail server is smtp.gmail.com Click on th earrow > The primary server should be smtp.gmail.com and is selected on. My 3gs shows other smtp servers in a list below the primary, gmail is also on that list but is selected 'Off'. As it's working very happily I'm not going to touch it.

Good luck with yours.

OP
R
Reaction score
connection to outgoing server smtp.gmail.com on my iphone

i tried that..i have also made sure my SSL is turned on which it is. its very strange.. i have done everything that more than one site has told me to do and dont it step by step.. but nothing.. i can receive email..just cant send anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
I had a problem this week where I couldn't see or access my mail on my phone or Mac. Inexplicably I had somehow deselected the mailbox from working online.
So, select Mail, go to the top line menu, select Mailbox, 'Take all accounts online'. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I have had a problem for quite a while now, that I can't send mail from my Gmail account, using Mail. It is probably the server. My outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com:my username. Mail thinks that both pop.gmail.com and my SMTP server are offline, but I can access it through webmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Generally, Gmail has problems with the smtp server. Although I have correctly configures my Mail client, once in a while it also complains about the "failed connection".

Reaction score
Generally, Gmail has problems with the smtp server. Although I have correctly configures my Mail client, once in a while it also complains about the "failed connection".

I agree. I frequently have trouble sending via the Gmail smtp server on my iphone 3gs (3.0.1). It's not a question of having the right settings; it is really hit or miss with each attempt to send. Sometimes it sends instantly, sometimes it waits a minute or so before the progress bar actually moves, and other times (more often than not) it just waits and waits until it fails completely. Frustrating to say the least.

It's gotten so annoying that I've just turned off the primary server (smtp.gmail.com) and have turned on the other smtp server, which is my carrier's. (Settings -> Mail,Contacts,Calendars -> gmail Mail account -> SMTP)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.