My Superdrive just killed itself...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13" Macbook. 2GHz Intel Core Duo. 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Mac OS X 10.4.11
.. for absolutely no apparent reason at all. I've never dropped it. It's never been sat on/hit/leant against, but yesterday it decided to eat my Sims 2 disc, and not give it back. After trying every tip and trick I could find, both on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, I decided to risk sticking a card in there and stopping it from spinning so that it would eject.

It worked.

Unfortunately, the Superdrive no longer does.

My question is, how much would this laptop sell for, give it's lack of disc drive (the bluetooth module is also very temperamental)? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but I cannot afford to have it repaired, and want to upgrade anyway, and would like to use any cash I can get from this one as a starting point for said upgrade.

Sorry if this post isn't meant for this sub-forum, but I can't post in the 'Buy/trade/sell' area.

My specs are in my sig. It had it's casing replaced 6 months ago due to those annoying cracks I discovered are quite commonplace with this model, and that occur for no real reason. Everything else works perfectly. It has Microsoft Office 2004, Flash 8 and Photoshop CS2 already installed.

I realise it won't go for much, as it's old and people can just buy the new and improved alumbook basic for £749, but a girl can dream can't she? :[

Any replies are appreciated. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, it's worth about £320 in fully working condition. So, figure about £50 less without a working optical drive.

Unfortunately, the slot loading drives tend to be a lot less robust than their full size counterparts. Fortunately, replacing it is not terribly difficult if you're comfortable with opening up your machine. Take a look here:

MacBook 8x SuperDrive - iFixit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you are handy with tools it takes about 20 minutes. If you are not, it takes about 40 minutes. Either way it's not too bad, just go slow. I had to reboot several times to get mine to become recognized when I did a transplant on a older MBP. Patience is key. Good luck, and have fun looking at the guts of a MacBook - pretty cool stuff.
-Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13" Macbook. 2GHz Intel Core Duo. 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Mac OS X 10.4.11
Thanks! I've been debating whether or not to take it apart and replace it, as the rest of it's fine, and I don't want to do anything to change that, but I think I will have a go.

£50 huh? Hahahahahaha. *Ahem* sorry. I've gotta laugh otherwise I'll cry. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WMB 13", Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, iPhone 3G.
£50 less, not now worth £50..... tho I'd say more, a new superdrive unit is just shy of £100, if you fit it yourself.... so I'd say it was worth at least £70 less.

Best bet is to replace it yourself, I'm just about to do the same, I'll let you know how it goes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.