/usr/local

Reaction score
Hello Mac Users,

I am currently investigating whether or not I should do the switch from pc to mac, for development and design purposes, I have borrowed a MacBook pro running OS X 10.4 operating system, and i want to install Ruby, Rails, Mysql..etc

But when i try to locat a .bash_login file within /usr/local directory, the terminal is telling me "There is no such directory"

As I am a complete Mac newbie, I have no idea what do and have tried to find the answer by searching google but to no avail.

If someone could please assist me in this query I may just join the other side soon! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
In Mac,

there will not be anything in /usr/local (unless you create something over there or install something, otherwise there are some programs, which create /usr/local and installs its binaries and eventually export /usr/local to its path).

You can find your .bash_login file in your home directory (if not, then you have to create one).

Regarding ruby rails, I installed after creating a /usr/local directory and then installed and exported the path.

I have no idea about mysql in Mac yet. By the way, I am using, 10.5.7 (leopard), but I believe things should not be much different in 10.4.

I would welcome you to post you experiences to share the community.

Good luck

OP
O
Reaction score
Is the home directory /users? and to create a .bash_login file do i use a text editor?

Sorry for the noobie questions, I feel like I am in another country which speaks another language.

OP
O
Reaction score
I have found the /usr directory by typing in terminal to unhide hidden files in finder, there is no local folder but it will not allow me to create a folder as is read only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Mac OS X-10.5.8, Apple iPod nano 8GB Black
/Users is not you home directory,

your home directory would be,

/Users/<your username>

/usr - is available in Mac and you need sudo permission, at the minimal to write anything on it (Writing, here I mean by creating a directory, as well as writing anything on it.)

Summarizing it, you need sudo permission (administrator previlages) to install ruby, mysql.... in your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.