Starting school in August (is a MBP for me?)

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking a 2 year Graphic and Web Design program. The entire program is based on Macs so I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro. Some of the programs I'll be learning are Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Quark.

I was thinking about ordering the 13" MacBook Pro 2.26ghz and upping the RAM to 4gb.

Does this make sense? I suspect it would be efficient in running the software I listed...this will be my first Mac, and I've been reading up on these new MacBook Pros and watching demonstration/tutorial videos - I'm really excited about getting one of these. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Mbp

Short answer would have to be yes, and 4GB Ram would be ideal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
I'd recommend stepping up to the 2.53 model. If you order the computer with the 4GB of ram, it's a 100 dollar increase. Getting the faster chip already warrants you the extra ram and an additional amount of hard drive space.

The programs you listed can suck up hard drive space fast, and having that extra space can be handy.

It's a bit more of a financial stress, i know, but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Sounds fantastic. Trust me once you get it you will enjoy it and never look back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Does the 13" MBP have the non integrated GPU? If not, then I'd look at a refurbed 15".

Plus purchase an external monitor with an IPS panel. Dell is selling a 22" that runs between $200-$300 depending on what sales they're running. Editing files with any size to them at all on a 15" screen sucks; I couldn't imagine doing it on a 13" screen.

OP
Braden
Reaction score
Ok.

I understand about the hard drive space and the extra power of the 2.5ghz processor, I could probably float that.

But dang...after looking into the GPUs, I'm thinking I'd like that 9600M GT, but in order to get it I'd have to get the 15" and up my purchase by like $800 from what I was originally going to spend.

Gonna browse the refurb page I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz
I dont think the GT is necessary - might be overkill, the 9400M would probably be sufficient. Also see if you can get education discount - should save you $100

Ok.

I understand about the hard drive space and the extra power of the 2.5ghz processor, I could probably float that.

But dang...after looking into the GPUs, I'm thinking I'd like that 9600M GT, but in order to get it I'd have to get the 15" and up my purchase by like $800 from what I was originally going to spend.

Gonna browse the refurb page I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I dont think the GT is necessary - might be overkill, the 9400M would probably be sufficient. Also see if you can get education discount - should save you $100

It seriously depends on his file sizes and resolution he's working at.

I was working on a fraternity composite that was 14"x36" and was something at like 150mb while having additional windows open for editing the individual 21mp pics before popping them into the composite. I accidentally had it set to the integrated chip and everything was moving slooooow. Using Expose was a chore. I switched it over to the GT and everything went to working smoothly.

This was on a 15" MBP with 4GB of RAM and using a 30" monitor at 2650x1600 (I believe that's the correct size). And since the new Adobe software makes use of the GPU, it does help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I was working on a fraternity composite that was 14"x36" and was something at like 150mb while having additional windows open for editing the individual 21mp pics before popping them into the composite. I accidentally had it set to the integrated chip and everything was moving slooooow. Using Expose was a chore. I switched it over to the GT and everything went to working smoothly.

This was on a 15" MBP with 4GB of RAM and using a 30" monitor at 2650x1600 (I believe that's the correct size). And since the new Adobe software makes use of the GPU, it does help.

This is true as well. My old black MacBook 2.4 would take about an hour to do a big photostitch. The GT on my new 17" MBP makes it go ALOT faster lol.

Buuttt...and there is always a but...the GT might be too far of a stretch for a college student as far as finances go. A justifiable expense? Absolutely! Financially feasible? Probably not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz

This is true - would just have to see if the added performance would be worth the extra $800~ in your situation..

OP
Braden
Reaction score
Arg, this is frustrating. I guess I should look down the road as well, it's a 2 year program I'm taking - so I want something that will keep on keepin' on well into the next few years.

Depending on what kind of aid I receive, I'm going to be hearing from the financial aid department sometime this week, I may just end up getting a 15" to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Arg, this is frustrating. I guess I should look down the road as well, it's a 2 year program I'm taking - so I want something that will keep on keepin' on well into the next few years.

Depending on what kind of aid I receive, I'm going to be hearing from the financial aid department sometime this week, I may just end up getting a 15" to be safe.

Have you thought about the apple financing route?

That's how I obtained my first iMac G5 back in "the day".

The 15" with the GT in it is a BIIIIG jump in price and performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.