G3 iBook problem wont boot up

Reaction score
I have a G3 iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM,700mhz,256mbRAM) that when i power it up it shuts down right after that. I have hooked it up to a desktop Mac to run diagnostics on the hard drive it shows this "Incorrect block count for file "mach" (it should be 1 instead of zero) incorrect block count for file "mach sys"(it should be 148 instead of 46) then it shows overlapped extent allocation keeps saying it needs to be repaired I have tried 3 times to repair the hard drive and still shows the volume "Macintosh needs to be repaired" wondering whats wrong with it the hard drive or logic board? I am saving all data using HFSExplorer as I post this. Feel free to PM me on this issue

OP
D
Reaction score
I have reinstalled the hard drive and now it get the chime a gray screen then it goes blank when I power it up.What now?

Reaction score
I have a G3 iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM,700mhz,256mbRAM) that when i power it up it shuts down right after that. I have hooked it up to a desktop Mac to run diagnostics on the hard drive it shows this "Incorrect block count for file "mach" (it should be 1 instead of zero) incorrect block count for file "mach sys"(it should be 148 instead of 46) then it shows overlapped extent allocation keeps saying it needs to be repaired I have tried 3 times to repair the hard drive and still shows the volume "Macintosh needs to be repaired" wondering whats wrong with it the hard drive or logic board? I am saving all data using HFSExplorer as I post this.
I believe Mach is the kernel, and if it's been corrupted somehow, you probably have to re-install the operating system, but it could be a hardware problem if Disk Utility is unable to fix it (i.e. damaged sectors).

OP
D
Reaction score
I am thinking of just replacing the hard drive (upgrading to a 40 GIG) I am going to install new RAM also and see what it does then. I run Ubuntu 8.10 on another Desktop so I am very familiar with GNU and Linux been using it since 7.04 came out. It won't cost alot to do some minor upgrades to it and would'nt hurt either.

Reaction score
I am thinking of just replacing the hard drive (upgrading to a 40 GIG) I am going to install new RAM also and see what it does then. I run Ubuntu 8.10 on another Desktop so I am very familiar with GNU and Linux been using it since 7.04 came out. It won't cost alot to do some minor upgrades to it and would'nt hurt either.
You should check out NewEgg -- I bought a 160GB hard drive for $60 with free shipping a few weeks ago. Not sure if a G3 could take that size though. Ubuntu is a great GNU/Linux distro. May the FOSS be with you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Update on problem with G3. I went to microcenter today talked to an apple tech there He said as long as it chimes when it starts up the logic board is not bad He told me to buy a firewire cable and hook it up to my old iMac desktop I have to see if it would show the drive on it and it did and I was able to erase the hard drive and verify it was ok so no problems with hard drive was even able to reinstall 9.2 onto the drive with no problems.On to the next step I have to purchase an adapter to hook it up to an external monitor to see if display is bad.He seems to think that is where the problem may be. I will update this when I am able to get the adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.