trackpad right button problem...please help!

Reaction score
hey, i'm new to mac and not too computer literate. got a macbook 4,1 and so far i love it but i'm having a trackpad issue. the right button seems to function as a left button. right clicking on a desktop icon with the trackpad highlights the icon, and double clicking opens the application. right clicking an icon does not open an options menu. i regularly use the "software update" function, and my suspicion is that this problem occured as a direct result. i have a mouse hooked up to a usb hub and the pointer and both buttons function correctly with the mouse, just not the trackpad. and the left button still works. any help is much appreciated...thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
You have to enable the "secondary click" in preferences before you can do a right click with your trackpad.

Open System Preferences, via the Dock or the Apple menu, and go to Trackpad

If your trackpad is the new glass multi-touch one:
- - you can enable "Secondary Click" and choose if the bottom right or left corner of your trackpad will bring up the action menu

- - you can enable "Secondary Tap" which will allow you to to bring up the action menu by tapping the trackpad with two fingers.

If your trackpad is one with a large front button on it:
- - Check off "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click"

And of course you can always call up the action menu by ctrl-clicking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.