Mac Pro and HDTV

Reaction score
When I hook up my Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHZ Quad Core Intel Xeon with ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card via HDMI to my Panasonic VIERA, it recognizes and updates to 1920x1080 but on my TV you can't see the Apple, File, View, etc.. and at the bottom you can only see half of the dock. When I fiddled with the display under system preferences, and unclicked overscan, there's a black border around the desktop. Any suggestions on how to get my desktop to fit properly on my TV????

Thanks a bunch.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately, welcome to the world of connecting a Mac to a HDTV. With a Mac you have to pay extra to get your screen to fit properly on a HDTV.

SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX are your main options for fixing it.

OP
Reaction score
Been looking into those...thought that there might be something that I'm missing. Thanks for the help though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
I had the same problem on my Sony TV. It had to do with how the TV was set.

I was using the mini-DVI to DVI adapter to HDMI. The TV would cut off exactly what you said. I found that I had to change it to display "Actual Pixels" on the Sony TV. That made it show EXACTLY what was coming out of the video card. It even showed up in my prefrences as "SONY_TV"

OP
Reaction score
Update...

Looking in to the Panasonic Manual, under the Advanced Picture settings, there was an option for HD Size 1 (95% scanning) or HD Size 2 (100% scanning). We switched the setting from 1 to 2 and it shrank the size of the image on the TV screen. I then switched ON the overscan option on Mac, and it fit full screen, nicely!!! Woo Hoo!!

Now I need to do more research as to what the 2 different HD Sizes really mean. Not sure if this a specific setting for the make, model, brand?

Thanks again for all the info, and I hope that this could help someone else out!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad your TV has the adjustment available. And thanks for reporting back.

Too bad most TV's have not had this adjustment available. None of the 6 HDTV's I have owned to date. From a cheapie Polaroid to 2 Sonys, a Panasonic and 2 Toshibas. My Mac has done exactly the same on them all, while Windows & Linux just worked on them all. My newest set is now 2 yrs old. Looks like the TV manufacturers have taken it on themselves to have an adjustment for Apple instead of Apple correcting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.